Former Military Officer changing career to Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidsnaken7

Reaction score
I would like to get an idea of how I should pursue my next course of action.

I have always wanted to go into Dentistry, but as a first generation student, I didn't have much guidance. The only way to pay for college was to join to Military; additionally, I majored in non-science degree and graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I became an Officer and would have served close to 10 years (both Combat and non-Combat) when I get out. I have reached the point of patriotic fulfillment as well as financial and mental maturity needed to pursue my dreams of becoming a Dentist, and hopefully, inspire and give guidance to kids who were once like me.

I have recently turned 28 and the time it takes to complete this journey isn't a factor for me.

To increase my chances of success should I Purse a second Bachelors in Chemistry/Biology or a Masters Program?
I can begin taking classes at the local Community College while I wait for my discharge papers (next year) before transferring to a 4-year college.

of note: I would need to essentially take all of the prereqs. Not due to poor grades, but rather because as a non- science major they were not part of the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to get into a science related Master’s program without any science background.

I would either do a biology or chemistry degree or see if you do an informal postbacc where you just take all the pre-requisite and a handful of upper division science courses!

Go to an relatively cheap 4 year University so you can pay out of pocket for that and then use the GI bill to pay for 4 years of dental school

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, thank you for your service to the country. You've made a lot of sacrifices to keep our country safe.

Given that you have a bachelors degree already, it'd be unnecessary to get another bachelor. Apply for a post-bac program where you'll be able to take the mandatory science and required classes. If you do it full time, you may need two years or so. Part-time can take longer.

Your goal should be to get at least a 3.7 or above in the post-bac classes. I'd recommend not to take major classes at a community college because some schools prefer grades from a 4 year college.

Then you should be good to go with applying to dental school.

If you start applying now, you should have a solid chance at starting your post bac this fall.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget 100 hrs shadowing a general dentist as an "experience." I second the post bacc at 4yr university to just get gen chem, bio, orgo, physics, biochem*. Try to get a 4.0. Also before you separate I would ask one of your direct leaders that you have rapport with to write LOR. Get science profs in post bacc to write others. Take DAT after or during the later courses. Look at dental schools that you want to attend and look at their credit requirements (some require different classes other than core 4.) 28 is young in the grand scheme, you know what you want so go get it but be smart with debt.

I would either do a biology or chemistry degree or see if you do an informal postbacc where you just take all the pre-requisite and a handful of upper division science courses!

Go to an relatively cheap 4 year University so you can pay out of pocket for that and then use the GI bill to pay for 4 years of dental school

For sure! I plan to use The local university and move in with family ‍♂️

GI bill will only Pay for degree seeking. Best option would be to the pre-reqs and then “drop out”. However after speaking with some schools, they base their acceptance criteria on obtaining the science degree.

Some do..some don’t ‍♂️

First of all, thank you for your service to the country. You've made a lot of sacrifices to keep our country safe.

Given that you have a bachelors degree already, it'd be unnecessary to get another bachelor. Apply for a post-bac program where you'll be able to take the mandatory science and required classes. If you do it full time, you may need two years or so. Part-time can take longer.

Your goal should be to get at least a 3.7 or above in the post-bac classes. I'd recommend not to take major classes at a community college because some schools prefer grades from a 4 year college.

Then you should be good to go with applying to dental school.

If you start applying now, you should have a solid chance at starting your post bac this fall.

Thanks.

Since I am just “sitting” for the next year or so I planned on taking at least a class here or there. No upper science or math. I’ve also heard the same thing as well.

For sure! I plan to use The local university and move in with family ‍♂

GI bill will only Pay for degree seeking. Best option would be to the pre-reqs and then “drop out”. However after speaking with some schools, they base their acceptance criteria on obtaining the science degree.

Some do..some don’t ‍♂

You do not need a science degree to get dental school. People get in with business, art, journalism, psychology, etc degrees. They only thing they require is a bachelor degree, but there is no specific. Schools like to see diverse degrees as long as you still show that you can handle science classes.

Wouldn’t the GI bill cover a dental degree? I think @Big Time Hoosier mentioned this once

You do not need a science degree to get dental school. People get in with business, art, journalism, psychology, etc degrees. They only thing they require is a bachelor degree, but there is no specific. Schools like to see diverse degrees as long as you still show that you can handle science classes.

Wouldn’t the GI bill cover a dental degree? I think @Big Time Hoosier mentioned this once
GI Bill provides up to 36 months of benefits, essentially 4 years if you don’t count summers. If it’s a state school and less than 5 years since you separated, all tuition should be covered. Private schools only get around $25,000/year, but many also participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program which can net you some more money. You’ll also get a living allowance based on the school’s zip code and BAH for E5 with dependents. Don’t quote me on any of this, but this is how I understand it and expect it to be when I use it this summer for a specialty residency. Double check all this with the VA.

Like my man said, you don’t need a science degree, just the prerequisites. Obviously don’t burn your GI Bill to do these.

It’s been a while since I applied to dental school, but feel free to hit me up with questions and I’ll do my best to help you out. Best of luck to you and thank you for your service. Speaking of, for all you getting ready to crank it up over the Memorial Day weekend, I really hope you remember what the day was really set aside for — the remembrance of the literal hundreds of thousands who didn’t come home. May God forever bless the United States of America and those that wear her uniform.

7DEEDA47-2825-4DC5-B35C-E839DAE57C07.jpeg

Big Hoss

Last edited:
I did a math-related degree, you don't need to do a Chem/bio BS degree.. Actually, it's a good thing to do something that is not the usual bio/chem, .

Your GPA is good enough, you just need to complete all the other pre-requisites for dentistry.
I have met a lot of people who decided to go to dental school after their graduation, they would enroll in my school, and take 2 years to finish the pre-requisites.

Best of luck. You can do it especially with your military background just make sure to shadow dentists as well.
How to shadow dentists?

Start with your general dentist that you regularly go to, ask him if he can let you shadow him a few hours every week.
If he refused, try to search for dentists in your area and go to their office in person and ask for the chance to shadow the dentists. It would help to ask to talk to the dentist personally, I am sure if they knew you were in the army, they will be more than willing to help.

Also, you need to take the DAT after you do all the pre-requisites.

Nothing you can prepare for now except for English, you can start reading books and make it a habit, to improve your speed and increase your vocabulary.

@liquidsnaken7 I just completed a post-bac. I am was in a similar boat (non-sci degree), and used most of my GI Bill already. Be sure to look at the STEM extension for the GI BILL- Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship - Education and Training and https://militarybenefits.info/gi-bill-stem-extension/. I am a Marine veteran, and am currently an Army Engineer Officer in the reserves (~16yrs of total service). Shoot me a direct message if you would like and I can send you some details I accumulated over the last couple years. I can also put you in touch with the former DENCOM CG. God speed.