Former program director interfering with my credentialing at new job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indeeded

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but hoping to get some input from physicians or others on the "business" side of medicine, specifically the final processes involved in physician credentialing at a large medical center.

I signed a contract for an attending position at a large community-based academic center in 12/2015, with my planned start date to be in 07/2016 (now). Everything was going great until my very last shift of fellowship last week, when I got an alarming call from my soon-to-be boss (division head) stating that my fellowship program director was interfering with my credentialing process at my new job. She had been sent a routine form where she was supposed to check a box "yes" or "no" when asked "Would you recommend this person for a staff position at this medical center?" She checked "no". This automatically leads to a secondary review of my entire file. My new boss called her to inquire as to why she did this, and of course she stated she would change the form, but the damage was done (keep reading).

I looked at my reviews, and she'd added innumerable negative comments/reviews of me during the last few weeks of fellowship (basically so that I would not notice them). In addition, this fellowship program director is MARRIED to the division chair for my program, and I am pretty sure that he also added negative comments as well.

Not really sure where to go from here. The division chair (my program director's husband), was one of my original LOR authors, so I assume part of what he'd said got me my job. I feel that he has now done a 180 at the request of his wife. This all just wreaks of nepotism and unethical behavior.

The issues between myself and the program director are numerous, but essentially came down to her treatment of the fellows as nurse practitioners and her complete lack of support for the fellows throughout fellowship.

My final credentialing meeting is coming up, and I am ready to supply the committee with a complete list of "secondary references" that can attest to my true character and performance.

Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but hoping to get some input from physicians or others on the "business" side of medicine, specifically the final processes involved in physician credentialing at a large medical center.

I signed a contract for an attending position at a large community-based academic center in 12/2015, with my planned start date to be in 07/2016 (now). Everything was going great until my very last shift of fellowship last week, when I got an alarming call from my soon-to-be boss (division head) stating that my fellowship program director was interfering with my credentialing process at my new job. She had been sent a routine form where she was supposed to check a box "yes" or "no" when asked "Would you recommend this person for a staff position at this medical center?" She checked "no". This automatically leads to a secondary review of my entire file. My new boss called her to inquire as to why she did this, and of course she stated she would change the form, but the damage was done (keep reading).

I looked at my reviews, and she'd added innumerable negative comments/reviews of me during the last few weeks of fellowship (basically so that I would not notice them). In addition, this fellowship program director is MARRIED to the division chair for my program, and I am pretty sure that he also added negative comments as well.

Not really sure where to go from here. The division chair (my program director's husband), was one of my original LOR authors, so I assume part of what he'd said got me my job. I feel that he has now done a 180 at the request of his wife. This all just wreaks of nepotism and unethical behavior.

The issues between myself and the program director are numerous, but essentially came down to her treatment of the fellows as nurse practitioners and her complete lack of support for the fellows throughout fellowship.

My final credentialing meeting is coming up, and I am ready to supply the committee with a complete list of "secondary references" that can attest to my true character and performance.

Any other advice?

Would you really want to work at this place seeing as how both the current division chair and your former PD have essentially worked in concert to sabotage you?

Would you really want to work at this place seeing as how both the current division chair and your former PD have essentially worked in concert to sabotage you?

The new job is on the other side of the country from where I did my fellowship. And both my new boss and the department chairman are behind me, but they feel they may run into issues with the credentialing committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
The new job is on the other side of the country from where I did my fellowship. And both my new boss and the department chairman are behind me, but they feel they may run into issues with the credentialing committee.

Okay! I better understand now. I assumed the new position was at an institution affiliated with where you did your fellowship. Pending the results of the final credentialing meeting, I feel you should consult an employment attorney with the evidence in hand. I agree with you re: the feeling of nepotism and unethical behavior.

Okay! I better understand now. I assumed the new position was at an institution affiliated with where you did your fellowship. Pending the results of the final credentialing meeting, I feel you should consult an employment attorney with the evidence in hand. I agree with you re: the feeling of nepotism and unethical behavior.

I agree I will be speaking with an employment lawyer in the near future, but do you know of any recourse? I feel the options from a legal angle are somewhat limited. She can always say that her and her husband's reviews of myself were their individual opinions and in no way coordinated.

That would clearly be a lie, but the burden of proof would rest on my legal team.

Additionally, I'm hoping that she simply looks foolish to the credentialing committee. Why would you state someone is unfit to work there then immediately change your mind?