Former UCSF AdCom answering questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted685788

Hi everyone,
I used sdn when I was applying for med school and ended up getting into my top choice school, UCSF, from a small state school in the midwest. I became very interested in admissions after optimizing my own application and served as AdCom.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
I used sdn when I was applying for med school and ended up getting into my top choice school, UCSF, from a small state school in the midwest. I became very interested in admissions after optimizing my own application and served as AdCom.
When did you serve on admissions, or rather how long ago were you on admissions?

Reactions: 1 user
1-2 years total and it was actually during medical school. You actually helped me way back when I was applying w/ developing my school list. I’m not insanely experienced like you lot but I have a good eye for it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
It appears from your post history that you were an applicant in the 2015-16 cycle, and have made 4 posts between October 2016 and April 2018, prior to today. What is driving the sudden interest in answering admission questions now, in what must be the middle of your residency?

Reactions: 6 users
where my UCSF secondary, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
when people say UCSF has a focus on social justice, does that mean that working with underprivileged/disadvantaged populations is enough, or did you need to be at the forefront of some sort of movement within social justice? i.e. what is the scope they are looking for activities-wise, given that they are less focused on stats.

when people say UCSF has a focus on social justice, does that mean that working with underprivileged/disadvantaged populations is enough, or did you need to be at the forefront of some sort of movement within social justice? i.e. what is the scope they are looking for activities-wise, given that they are less focused on stats.
Suggest looking at thier mission statement and their admissions website.

What do adcom looks for in candidates? Research, connection to marginalized community? I have done a lot of volunteering with the LGBT community with several publications, but not sure if lack of clinical experience during COVID would hurt me. I am starting with ED volunteer in September though thank god. I submitted my primary to UCSF, and obviously as a gay person I would love to attend UCSF and do research and serve for my community. Just wondering how much being LGBT helps.

They are lying like any other institution. They only care about your URM status if you are also an elite applicant. That applicant will have their choice of schools. Don't think they will see Sue with 2.5 GPA but is X minority group or suffered Y tragedy and they'll accept them

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
What ya'll screen for and is some part of that automated (what's the threshold then)? Yes - I want your deepest secrets.

I welcome anyone that has clicked "inappropriate" or "dislike" to my comment to provide any evidence to the contrary. This is no different than corporations when they put a rainbow flag every pride month. They are selling themselves like any other institution. Words are just words unless you have any evidence to the contrary. Unlike some of you, I participated in many minority events in the bay area and each one of these medical students came in with top grades and extracurricular activities from mostly top institutions

Moderator note:
The OP has not logged in since last Wednesday to answer any questions (the same date this thread was made). Locking this thread to stop questions being posed to the void. OP, if you return and plan on answering the questions here, please message me and I will unlock this thread.

For everyone else, here's a random picture for your time:

1661804647040.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.