Former USC IM Resident/cardiology fellow current UCLA EP fellow license revoked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(First off, I wasn't sure what sub forum to post this under, thought about cardiology but then felt its issue broader for even all IM people)

I don't think the subject title is going to adequate detail the whole story, or what's relevant for it. First, I feel terrible for the victims. But obviously Andres Cortes (his half brother, Leonardo Clavijo, is PD of the interventional cardiology program at USC) was enabled and the allegations made by one of the victims were not taken seriously by Medicine and Cardiology department at USC.
To get up to date, read in order:

Doctor at County-USC hospital says she was sexually assaulted by a fellow physician, prompting sheriff's inquiry

(response to certain details by victim in above story)

UCLA doctor stripped of license, accused of sexually assaulting former County-USC hospital colleagues

http://www2.mbc.ca.gov/BreezePDL/document.aspx?path=\DIDOCS\20180531\DMRAAAGL3\&did=AAAGL180531162627107.DID

I don't see how the PD (David Shavelle) of the USC cardiology department keeps his job. Not disclosing the fact that his fellow had a LOA and for what reason to UCLA before he goes there for EP fellowship is all sorts of wrong (nevermind fact that UCLA will probably never take a USC cardiology trainee for advanced training again, perhaps not even an IM resident!). Furthermore, not taking appropriate action led to one of his own fellows being assaulted over and over again.

Finally, the USC IM PD seems to have done the right thing in reporting to authorities, but asking the victim to consider going to another cardiology program is unconscionable after she had matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator: