Formula 1: Albon reintubated after Lap Appy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banister

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought F1 would intersect with anesthesia. Official statement from Williams:

"Further to Alex Albon’s diagnosis of appendicitis on the morning of Saturday 10 September, he was admitted to San Gerardo hospital for treatment. He underwent a successful laparoscopic surgery on Saturday lunchtime.

Following surgery, Alex suffered with unexpected post-operative anaesthetic complications which led to respiratory failure, a known but uncommon complication. He was re-intubated and transferred to intensive care for support.

He made excellent progress overnight and was able to be removed from mechanical ventilation yesterday morning. He has now been transferred to a general ward and is expected to return home tomorrow. There were no other complications."

My bet is narcotic overdose vs laryngospasm. Airway doesn't seem difficult.

1663005159242.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Glad he'll be ok. Agree with any of the usual suspects here - I imagine his VIP status likely played a large role in playing things on the safer side as well.

His replacement for the weekend, DeVries, did fantastic job as well, scoring points on his first ever F1 start in a backmarker team car.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad he'll be ok. Agree with any of the usual suspects here - I imagine his VIP status likely played a large role in playing things on the safer side as well.

His replacement for the weekend, DeVries, did fantastic job as well, scoring points on his first ever F1 start in a backmarker team car.

Yeah, DeVries shows how weak Latifi is as a driver. Seems like a nice guy, but I wonder how long his family money will keep him in F1

Reactions: 2 users
UK uses LMA for a lot of their cases so wonder what really happened.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not standard practice in UK/Aus, but works fine most of the time if you trust the surgeon edit: with appropriate patient selection

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I almost feel like his VIP status would play a large role in things being done more dangerously. Anesthesiologist can’t stand the idea of celebrity X coughing / bucking on the tube, so they extubate in stage 2 and patient laryngospasms. Or they don’t want the celebrity to be in pain so they give them 3 mg of Dilaudid for an appy, leading to the patient being over-narced and breathing 4x/min at the end of the case.

There’s a reason why it’s said that you never want to be a “VIP” when undergoing surgery. You want to be a nameless, faceless number on the schedule. If the way they treated a VIP was so much better, they would be doing that for every patient. Maybe you’ll get a couple more smiles or people kissing your ass more, but it’s not like you’ll get the real propofol while the schmuck before you is getting low fat milk from Trader Joe’s.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I almost feel like his VIP status would play a large role in things being done more dangerously. Anesthesiologist can’t stand the idea of celebrity X coughing / bucking on the tube, so they extubate in stage 2 and patient laryngospasms. Or they don’t want the celebrity to be in pain so they give them 3 mg of Dilaudid for an appy, leading to the patient being over-narced and breathing 4x/min at the end of the case.

There’s a reason why it’s said that you never want to be a “VIP” when undergoing surgery. You want to be a nameless, faceless number on the schedule. If the way they treated a VIP was so much better, they would be doing that for every patient. Maybe you’ll get a couple more smiles or people kissing your ass more, but it’s not like you’ll get the real propofol while the schmuck before you is getting low fat milk from Trader Joe’s.
Fair points.

UK uses LMA for a lot of their cases so wonder what really happened.
You can definitely get spasm when pulling an LMA especially if there's a lot of secretions. I can see a situation where the LMA is pulled and he's in that "Stage 2 of anesthesia" or some secretions and he spasms and gets NPPE.