Four months in to first job after residency, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2fast2des 250k is crap even for NE....(and I work in the NE)

Members don't see this ad.

Why do I need to “chill”? All I did was ask you politely to refrain from calling yourself a provider. It was for your own good as much as it is for the good of the medical profession.
Yes I’m quoting my own post but for good reason. This is a recent quote from the ASA that some of you may have received via email:
“As you may know, the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) community has launched a new initiative seeking to dismantle physician-led, team-based models of care. Some of you have probably seen a television ad sponsored by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) touting the role of APRNs in health care. A little-known entity called the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Compact seems to be the nurses’ primary vehicle to undermine team-based care. This is how the APRN Compact works (taken directly from NCSBN):

• It is a multistate license, if that particular state has a law accepting the APRN Compact Model.
  • If a state is in the APRN Compact, the nursed-defined APRN Uniform License Requirements provides the minimum requirements for a multistate licensure.
  • The APRN multistate license shall include prescriptive authority for non-controlled substances and shall satisfy that particular state’s requirements for controlled substances.
  • An APRN multistate license holder is authorized to practice independent of a supervisory or collaborative relationship with a physician.
Only three states have currently enacted the APRN Compact legislation into law (ID, WY and ND). The compact will be fully implemented once 10 states have enacted this legislation. The APRN Compact is an alarming development. We must be on careful lookout for its introduction in other states. It essentially cedes authority away from the state to the Compact.

The AMA’s resolution calls on the AMA to convene a high-level, in-person meeting of physician stakeholders to develop a national strategy – including model legislation, consensus principles of agreement/solutions and state public relationship campaigns to oppose nurse-only or “independent” practice efforts, educate the public and policymakers, and oppose the inappropriate scope of practice expansion by non-physician health care practitioners.

For maybe the first time, this is national interest far beyond the anesthesiology world to ensure strong, physician-led care teams are taking care of our patients. Although AMA’s resolutions are just within the AMA, the impact of strengthening and broadening this resolution to include so many non-physician health care professionals is an indication of the increased attention it is now receiving in the physician world”

So if we want to lump ourselves in with these nurses then calling ourselves “providers” is a good start. After all, medicine doesn’t need doctors. It needs providers no matter what their education is. 8)

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I’m quoting my own post but for good reason. This is a recent quote from the ASA that some of you may have received via email:
“As you may know, the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) community has launched a new initiative seeking to dismantle physician-led, team-based models of care. Some of you have probably seen a television ad sponsored by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) touting the role of APRNs in health care. A little-known entity called the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Compact seems to be the nurses’ primary vehicle to undermine team-based care. This is how the APRN Compact works (taken directly from NCSBN):

• It is a multistate license, if that particular state has a law accepting the APRN Compact Model.
  • If a state is in the APRN Compact, the nursed-defined APRN Uniform License Requirements provides the minimum requirements for a multistate licensure.
  • The APRN multistate license shall include prescriptive authority for non-controlled substances and shall satisfy that particular state’s requirements for controlled substances.
  • An APRN multistate license holder is authorized to practice independent of a supervisory or collaborative relationship with a physician.
Only three states have currently enacted the APRN Compact legislation into law (ID, WY and ND). The compact will be fully implemented once 10 states have enacted this legislation. The APRN Compact is an alarming development. We must be on careful lookout for its introduction in other states. It essentially cedes authority away from the state to the Compact.

The AMA’s resolution calls on the AMA to convene a high-level, in-person meeting of physician stakeholders to develop a national strategy – including model legislation, consensus principles of agreement/solutions and state public relationship campaigns to oppose nurse-only or “independent” practice efforts, educate the public and policymakers, and oppose the inappropriate scope of practice expansion by non-physician health care practitioners.

For maybe the first time, this is national interest far beyond the anesthesiology world to ensure strong, physician-led care teams are taking care of our patients. Although AMA’s resolutions are just within the AMA, the impact of strengthening and broadening this resolution to include so many non-physician health care professionals is an indication of the increased attention it is now receiving in the physician world”

So if we want to lump ourselves in with these nurses then calling ourselves “providers” is a good start. After all, medicine doesn’t need doctors. It needs providers no matter what their education is. 8)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a war of words. And it starts by marginalizing Physicians and Anesthesiologists by calling them "providers." If you don't think it is intentional then you are naive.

Reactions: 2 users

This is stupid. Let’s put this in another thread. I love the stuff I’m hearing about attending life

Reactions: 1 users