Four Pharmacy Schools Placed on Probation

Started by BMBiology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like the ACPE is cracking its whip:

http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp

Probation Status

Hampton University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Palm Beach Atlantic University Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a focused on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)

Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Xavier University of Louisiana College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a comprehensive on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)
 
I noticed that earlier today...in regards to Nova and PBA, I wonder if it's because their Dean's left for greener pastures recently...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So? There are 111 pharmacy schools now, it's not unexpected that with a rapid expansion (there were less than 80 10 years ago! that's almost 40% increase) there would be a lot of issues creeping up...

It is a big deal because these schools are not new schools; they were well established schools.
 
It is a big deal because these schools are not new schools; they were well established schools.
Expansion affects everybody because there is finite number of qualified faculty, and for a new school to open up, the faculty has to be lured away from an existing school, which will need to replace them. 40% growth in less than 10 years is too much, especially when it overlaps with transition to PharmD only program, which means that schools need to expand their experiential learning programs, in many cases significantly.

And Palm Beach gotta be a new school, I never heard of them... Xavier was affected by Katrina...
 
Expansion affects everybody because there is finite number of qualified faculty, and for a new school to open up, the faculty has to be lured away from an existing school, which will need to replace them. 40% growth in less than 10 years is too much, especially when it overlaps with transition to PharmD only program, which means that schools need to expand their experiential learning programs, in many cases significantly.

And Palm Beach gotta be a new school, I never heard of them... Xavier was affected by Katrina...


Personally knowing PBA and nova, i think we should get rid of them. I believe nova was on probation once before. Florida has too many pharmacy schools with another one opening in 2010. This is getting out of hand. People with 2.5 GPAs are getting in and coming on rotations and it is very apparent.
 
Expansion affects everybody because there is finite number of qualified faculty, and for a new school to open up, the faculty has to be lured away from an existing school, which will need to replace them.

That is pretty obvious. When was the last time four pharmacy schools were put on probation? These schools may now have to reduce its enrollment to meet the ACPE standards. That is why it is significant.
 
I think it's because with the changes in ACPE requirements, a lot of older institutions have had a hard time changing their curriculums and courses while trying to educate a full load of students.

I don't think this is the situation with Nova, but I just have a general feeling that this is the case. I know some students whose schools essentially handed them the IPPE requirement and are making them do everything over the summer with no institutional assistance.
 
Well I work at Xavier and the board sited us for two things:

1. We must have a ratio of 12:1 student to faculty, but we have 13:1 go figure.

2. We hired a new employee who filled out some paper work wrong.

Dr. Francis has filed suit against the ACPE and we actually have a court date this Thursday, will keep you posted on the outcome.
 
Well I work at Xavier and the board sited us for two things:

1. We must have a ratio of 12:1 student to faculty, but we have 13:1 go figure.

2. We hired a new employee who filled out some paper work wrong.

Dr. Francis has filed suit against the ACPE and we actually have a court date this Thursday, will keep you posted on the outcome.
good job outing yourself...just know it's a real small world out there
 
Well I work at Xavier and the board sited us for two things:

1. We must have a ratio of 12:1 student to faculty, but we have 13:1 go figure.

2. We hired a new employee who filled out some paper work wrong.

Dr. Francis has filed suit against the ACPE and we actually have a court date this Thursday, will keep you posted on the outcome.

Just curious, but in what capacity are you employed there?

Also a few clarifications for item #2:

1) What position was the new employee hired for?
2) When was the employee hired?
3) What was the paperwork?

It isn't very common for the ACPE to require a comprehensive on-site visit for minor violations (which is what you're describing).
 
Well I work at Xavier and the board sited us for two things:

1. We must have a ratio of 12:1 student to faculty, but we have 13:1 go figure.

2. We hired a new employee who filled out some paper work wrong.

Dr. Francis has filed suit against the ACPE and we actually have a court date this Thursday, will keep you posted on the outcome.


they should have sited you for spelling "cited" wrong
 
It looks like the ACPE is cracking its whip:

http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp

Probation Status

Hampton University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Palm Beach Atlantic University Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a focused on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)

Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Xavier University of Louisiana College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a comprehensive on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)


Definitely a step in the right direction except that I did not expect Nova or Xavier to be there.
 
Expansion affects everybody because there is finite number of qualified faculty, and for a new school to open up, the faculty has to be lured away from an existing school, which will need to replace them. 40% growth in less than 10 years is too much, especially when it overlaps with transition to PharmD only program, which means that schools need to expand their experiential learning programs, in many cases significantly.

And Palm Beach gotta be a new school, I never heard of them... Xavier was affected by Katrina...

I agree completely.

I'm an NSU grad, and heard of this a few days ago.

Frankly, it's quite embarrassing. I graduated 2 years ago, and it seems like a lot has changed since. There is little to compare what my experience was like starting 6 years ago, to what the curriculum is like now. Just off the top of my head and comparing it to the current faculty list...I can count at least 15 really great professors who are no longer there. I highly doubt this kind of attrition rate is usual. But you're absolutely right...with all of the new schools cropping up across the country, qualified professors don't just pop out of thin air to fill the openings.

NSU's program is about 22 years old. Not exactly the Harvard of pharmacy schools, but it's not a degree mill that sprung open yesterday either. I have no doubt that my graduating class was very very strong, and that the education we received was excellent. But with the state the program is now, it's pretty embarrassing to associate yourself with it...and that's a shame.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree completely.

I'm an NSU grad, and heard of this a few days ago.

Frankly, it's quite embarrassing. I graduated 2 years ago, and it seems like a lot has changed since. There is little to compare what my experience was like starting 6 years ago, to what the curriculum is like now. Just off the top of my head and comparing it to the current faculty list...I can count at least 15 really great professors who are no longer there. I highly doubt this kind of attrition rate is usual. But you're absolutely right...with all of the new schools cropping up across the country, qualified professors don't just pop out of thin air to fill the openings.

NSU's program is about 22 years old. Not exactly the Harvard of pharmacy schools, but it's not a degree mill that sprung open yesterday either. I have no doubt that my graduating class was very very strong, and that the education we received was excellent. But with the state the program is now, it's pretty embarrassing to associate yourself with it...and that's a shame.

Just say to yourself, "At least I didn't go to HICP."
 
Xavier must have ****ed up pretty bad for there to be a "comprehensive" rather than a "focused" visit. !!!

I love these bureaucratic buzz words, it's like reading UN documents or listening to the White House press secretary.
 
Xavier must have ****ed up pretty bad for there to be a "comprehensive" rather than a "focused" visit. !!!

I love these bureaucratic buzz words, it's like reading UN documents or listening to the White House press secretary.
Comprehensive and focused have nothing to do with that. It's more like focused are certain interim check-ups, and comprehensive are done at longer intervals (but every school has to have a comprehensive review every few years - I think it's six) or in case of significant changes in curriculum, leadership, etc.
 
Who exactly got the attention of the ACPE from the respective institutions anyways? Who were the whistleblowers - disgruntled alumni/students/faculty, or was it just due to data that the colleges reported?
 
isn't this the second time PBA has been put on probation within the last 3 years?

The students must not have prayed hard enough in their mandatory church classes. How could God let this happen?


Seriously, this is from their web site:

Our Mission: Pharmacy with Faith- Preparing the Servant Leaders of Tomorrow

As a student in the Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy, you'll prepare to become a servant-leader within the profession of pharmacy. By following the example of Jesus Christ, you'll learn to focus on serving, teaching and healing those in need. Our training programs are based on the simple premise that spiritual growth facilitates personal and professional growth. That’s why we integrate faith into the learning process.

Why choose PBA for Pharmacy?

Pharmacy is a Calling
Pharmacy isn't a job or even a career; it's a calling. We believe that God calls each of us to serve His unique purpose for our lives and then equips us with whatever we need to succeed. We'll help you identify and develop your own special God-given talents. That’s what we’ve been called to do, and we faithfully seek God’s guidance to do it well.
 
The students must not have prayed hard enough in their mandatory church classes. How could God let this happen?


Seriously, this is from their web site:

Our Mission: Pharmacy with Faith- Preparing the Servant Leaders of Tomorrow

As a student in the Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy, you'll prepare to become a servant-leader within the profession of pharmacy. By following the example of Jesus Christ, you'll learn to focus on serving, teaching and healing those in need. Our training programs are based on the simple premise that spiritual growth facilitates personal and professional growth. That’s why we integrate faith into the learning process.

Why choose PBA for Pharmacy?

Pharmacy is a Calling
Pharmacy isn't a job or even a career; it's a calling. We believe that God calls each of us to serve His unique purpose for our lives and then equips us with whatever we need to succeed. We'll help you identify and develop your own special God-given talents. That’s what we’ve been called to do, and we faithfully seek God’s guidance to do it well.

How could you blame God for this? God gave you free will to do thing that you want, and when thing is against you, you blame GOD.
 
ACPE is not joking around. I'm surprised Xavier was put on probation due to their unique circumstances after Katrina.
 
How could you blame God for this? God gave you free will to do thing that you want, and when thing is against you, you blame GOD.

Dude, didn't you read their mission statement? God called me to this career. Why did God have to call me to a career that will be oversaturated really soon because of all the get rich quick diploma mills opening up?

It's ok though, cause I am going to hell because I eat shrimp and love it!
 
Who exactly got the attention of the ACPE from the respective institutions anyways? Who were the whistleblowers - disgruntled alumni/students/faculty, or was it just due to data that the colleges reported?
Everyone gets assessed periodically. The probabtions are a result of shortcomings during that process, not an active campaign against the school by a disgruntled party.
 
The students must not have prayed hard enough in their mandatory church classes. How could God let this happen?


Seriously, this is from their web site:

Our Mission: Pharmacy with Faith- Preparing the Servant Leaders of Tomorrow

As a student in the Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy, you'll prepare to become a servant-leader within the profession of pharmacy. By following the example of Jesus Christ, you'll learn to focus on serving, teaching and healing those in need. Our training programs are based on the simple premise that spiritual growth facilitates personal and professional growth. That's why we integrate faith into the learning process.

Why choose PBA for Pharmacy?

Pharmacy is a Calling
Pharmacy isn't a job or even a career; it's a calling. We believe that God calls each of us to serve His unique purpose for our lives and then equips us with whatever we need to succeed. We'll help you identify and develop your own special God-given talents. That's what we've been called to do, and we faithfully seek God's guidance to do it well.

Sounds like a cult. I wonder when the Scientologists will get a pharmacy school open? That'll be good times.

This school's entire shtick cracks me up.

In recognition of the importance of the American free enterprise system, PBA requires a course in the subject and, since 1984, sponsors an American Free Enterprise (AFE) Day to honor the individuals whose hard work and achievement exemplify the best of the American Free enterprise system and exemplify the system's ideals.

The 23rd Annual American Free Enterprise Day was held on Thursday, November 13, 2008. Honored was one of the finest practitioners of free enterprise, the PBA American Free Enterprise Medalist of 2008, Dr. John M. Gregory of SJ Strategic Investments LLC.

Nothing screams Christianity like Laissez-Faire Capitalism. :laugh:
 
Last edited:
I think it's because with the changes in ACPE requirements, a lot of older institutions have had a hard time changing their curriculums and courses while trying to educate a full load of students.

I don't think this is the situation with Nova, but I just have a general feeling that this is the case. I know some students whose schools essentially handed them the IPPE requirement and are making them do everything over the summer with no institutional assistance.

we do our IPPEs over the summer. I didn't realize that wasn't normal. I guess it would be preferably to do 4hr/wk or whatever, rather than giving up an entire month, but I thought that was normal. We did 4 x 40 hr weeks of retail after 1st year and 4 x 40hr weeks of hospital after 2nd year.
 
we do our IPPEs over the summer. I didn't realize that wasn't normal. I guess it would be preferably to do 4hr/wk or whatever, rather than giving up an entire month, but I thought that was normal. We did 4 x 40 hr weeks of retail after 1st year and 4 x 40hr weeks of hospital after 2nd year.

I honestly don't know, every institution is going to be different. From what I've heard, there are 3 different "paths" schools are choosing to deal with this requirement.

1) Integrate into the curriculum (turns into a standard Aug-Dec/Jan-May "class" throughout the semester).

2) Have the student do it over the summer in one block with assistance (assign the student to a site).

3) Have the student do it over the summer with no assistance (student finds their own site).

I would actually prefer to do it in one shot over the summer, but that's just me. Maybe I'll change my mind after summer rolls around. I just feel bad for the students who are getting no support from their schools...I can't remember which ones, but a few students have discussed it on the forums.
 
isn't this the second time PBA has been put on probation within the last 3 years?


Maybe because they are spening too much time making these videos in their Disease Prevention and Health Promotion class instead of focusing on pharmacotherapy: 🙂😀😎👍

[YOUTUBE]m7bwRYH38MI[/YOUTUBE]
 
I honestly don't know, every institution is going to be different. From what I've heard, there are 3 different "paths" schools are choosing to deal with this requirement.

1) Integrate into the curriculum (turns into a standard Aug-Dec/Jan-May "class" throughout the semester).

2) Have the student do it over the summer in one block with assistance (assign the student to a site).

3) Have the student do it over the summer with no assistance (student finds their own site).

I would actually prefer to do it in one shot over the summer, but that's just me. Maybe I'll change my mind after summer rolls around. I just feel bad for the students who are getting no support from their schools...I can't remember which ones, but a few students have discussed it on the forums.

You're missing the other variant...no summer hours, scheduled by the student, no time in the week budgeted for hours. Also, there are restrictions on how minimum times and maximum times spent at a site. Fun 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're missing the other variant...no summer hours, scheduled by the student, no time in the week budgeted for hours. Also, there are restrictions on how minimum times and maximum times spent at a site. Fun 🙂

Oh ouch, forgot about that. Yeah I wonder how the 3 year schools are handling all that. Yeeks.

PS wtf is your avatar?
 
Sounds like a cult. I wonder when the Scientologists will get a pharmacy school open? That'll be good times.

This school's entire shtick cracks me up.



Nothing screams Christianity like Laissez-Faire Capitalism. :laugh:

wow, that is weird as hell
 
I'm not at a three year school, that's the terrible part.

It's what used to pass as a pharmacy sign in the Netherlands, evidently. Makes you wonder what the Dutch do in their pharmacies...

Man that's weird...do they not want to inspect/visit sites over the summer or something? What the heck.

Yeah that image looks like something out of a circus side-show or one of those "fortune teller" machines in the midway.
 
...accredited for 2 more years, although on probation (obviously), but that still means that I'll fly under the radar being that I will graduate a year before they face another round of inspections in Spring '11. :clap: That takes some pressure off, no doubt.

ETA: Just to throw my opinion out there, I am not worried about my COP losing accreditation. The administration staff needs to "clean house", so to speak, but that's all that I can think of that needs to be improved, which has always been the case.
The professors are great, even though I don't always agree with their teaching or testing styles, and the most important thing to me, as a student, is how they teach, which is very well, thankfully. Some students are not progressing fast enough through the program, but that is going to happen whenever professors intentionally try to make the exams difficult to pass... I don't know how that will be resolved, but tutoring is not the answer (even though they will try it).

Now... for the parades... the "Muses" parade tonight was excellent. I caught unbelievable throws, like: LED necklaces, a stuffed football, light-up 'diamond' rings (which will be added to my stash for an upcoming bachelorette party), LED flashlight bottle opener beads, couple of koozies (aka huggies), and cups with original artwork designs. 😀 I heart trinkets...
 
Last edited:
Yay, Wingate got the continuation nod. 😍


It looks like the ACPE is cracking its whip:

http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp

Probation Status

Hampton University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Palm Beach Atlantic University Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a focused on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)

Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with an interim report scheduled for submission for spring 2009. (2008-2009; 2008-2009)

Xavier University of Louisiana College of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Program has been placed on Probation Status with a comprehensive on-site visit scheduled for spring 2009. (2006-2007; 2008-2009)
 
Most of the schools on probation get full accreditation within a year. The one exemption to this in recent history was Howard. They were on probation for close to two years. They were the only school on probation who was in real danger of losing accreditation.
 
Hello guys i need help. I accepted hampton pharmacy school for class of 2013. Is it risky to go to this school because of the probation status? Any help appreciated
 
Whats the update with Xavier after the court date?

Well I work at Xavier and the board sited us for two things:

1. We must have a ratio of 12:1 student to faculty, but we have 13:1 go figure.

2. We hired a new employee who filled out some paper work wrong.

Dr. Francis has filed suit against the ACPE and we actually have a court date this Thursday, will keep you posted on the outcome.
 
Whats the update with Xavier after the court date?

There hearing was postponed due to Mardi Gras, there new date is 2/25/09, I will keep you posted. This is the first time Xavier has ever been on probation in their 82 years of having a pharmacy school, so I'm not worried.
 
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I just received this email.

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Joint Press Release Issued 3/07/2009 by
Xavier University of Louisiana
&
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education

Xavier University of Louisiana (Xavier) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) are pleased to announce the resolution of recent litigation initiated by Xavier in Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
After a recess of the February 25, 2009 court proceedings during which the parties disagreed as to the interpretation of certain ACPE policies addressing notice to Xavier prior to an ACPE probation determination, the parties were able to amicably resolve the lawsuit. In the interest of fairness, ACPE has agreed to rescind its January 2009 probation decision, remove the probation notation from the ACPE web site, and notify relevant federal, regional, and state agencies of this action. The University has dismissed the lawsuit against ACPE.
The Xavier University College of Pharmacy remains and has remained fully accredited throughout its 82-year history.
To protect the confidentiality and integrity of the accreditation process, and to be respectful of Xavier and ACPE, the parties have agreed that no additional information regarding this matter will be publicly available.

# # #

Office of University & Media Relations"

🙂
.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love it... Thats my hometown!!!




[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I just received this email.

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Joint Press Release Issued 3/07/2009 by
Xavier University of Louisiana
&
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education

Xavier University of Louisiana (Xavier) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) are pleased to announce the resolution of recent litigation initiated by Xavier in Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
After a recess of the February 25, 2009 court proceedings during which the parties disagreed as to the interpretation of certain ACPE policies addressing notice to Xavier prior to an ACPE probation determination, the parties were able to amicably resolve the lawsuit. In the interest of fairness, ACPE has agreed to rescind its January 2009 probation decision, remove the probation notation from the ACPE web site, and notify relevant federal, regional, and state agencies of this action. The University has dismissed the lawsuit against ACPE.
The Xavier University College of Pharmacy remains and has remained fully accredited throughout its 82-year history.
To protect the confidentiality and integrity of the accreditation process, and to be respectful of Xavier and ACPE, the parties have agreed that no additional information regarding this matter will be publicly available.

# # #

Office of University & Media Relations"

🙂
.
 
TOO MANY PHARMACY SCHOOLS!!!!


they need to stop building mroe nad more. the class sizes are out of control. the programs are geared at clinical.

the pharmD should NOT be mandatory. there should be 2 separate tracks not the required pharmd. many people do not want to learn the advanced clinical things that have no basis in retail.

some schools are graduating almost 300 pharmacists a year. in my area it is oversaturated that CVS is cutting back hours, not hiring. big hiring freezes.
 
TOO MANY PHARMACY SCHOOLS!!!!


they need to stop building mroe nad more. the class sizes are out of control. the programs are geared at clinical.

the pharmD should NOT be mandatory. there should be 2 separate tracks not the required pharmd. many people do not want to learn the advanced clinical things that have no basis in retail.

some schools are graduating almost 300 pharmacists a year. in my area it is oversaturated that CVS is cutting back hours, not hiring. big hiring freezes.

you're off topic here, but how would making an "easier" pharmacy degree decrease the # of people saturating your local CVS? It would shoot up the # in the labor pool. The higher requirements for the PharmD + length of time of the program is keeping that labor pool small.
 
you're off topic here, but how would making an "easier" pharmacy degree decrease the # of people saturating your local CVS? It would shoot up the # in the labor pool. The higher requirements for the PharmD + length of time of the program is keeping that labor pool small.

except for the fact that all you have to do is wave money around and you too can have your own pharmacy school.