fourth year anesthesia rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretasianman

Glorified Enabler
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice regarding scheduling my anesthesia clerkship. Would it be a good idea to avoid July as this is when the new residents get 1:1 attending time and are themselves generally trying to learn , or does it not really matter?

Members don't see this ad.

When the residents are fighting for procedures, med students don't get to do much as it should be. As they start to get more comfortable with the day-to-day activities, naturally they relax and are more willing to let med students do stuff. From that point of view, later in the year is better. But, if that's your only opportunity to do a rotation, then it's better to do the rotation vs. not doing it. I preferred the Sep/Oct/Nov time frame. I felt the end of the hot months would be better. But in the end, it prolly doesn't matter anyway. Just work hard, BE ON TIME, have some social skills, and apply broadly.:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add a couple of points. If you are paired with the senior residents, it doesnt really matter when you do your rotation. This year I really didnt care about giving away my intubations or other procedures to an eager subI. Later in the year though, sometimes it can be a little bit tiring to have a subI everyday so some residents do "burn out" of teaching and may teach less than they would earlier in the sub I season. Just some thoughts. good luck on your rotation

You also have to consider whether you need a letter of rec out of the rotation. If so, July or August are pretty much what you should go for.

september is not out of the question to get an LOR -- thats when I got mine. I got interviews before it came in too.

september is not out of the question to get an LOR -- thats when I got mine. I got interviews before it came in too.

Good to know! I was under the impression that most programs won't even look at your application until it's totally complete.

Good to know! I was under the impression that most programs won't even look at your application until it's totally complete.

I would say more programs than not will look at your application and extend an offer for interview even if your app is not complete. But there are some that wait till everything is in. That includes the stupid dean's letter (that letter is a waste of paper I thought). Utah is an example poping off the top of my head, that waited till everything was in.

But I got almost all my offers to interview way before the Deans letter was in. I think I even got a couple of interviews before my last letter of rec was scaned into ERAS mid Sept.

A side note: LOR are a pain in your butt. The sooner they scanned into ERAS the better imho.

Forgive the ignorance. If you are thinking about going into Anesthesiology, who do you get your LOR's from? 1 from a medicine/surgery attending, 1 from the PD at your home school, and 1 from an attending on an away rotation that you did in anesthesiology? Thanks.

Mine came from SICU gas attending and two IM attendings

I think you just want someone who knows you well. I know some folks that got LOR from FM attendings.

I had 2 letters from Family Medicine and 1 from an Anesthesia attending.

I had 2 letters from Family Medicine and 1 from an Anesthesia attending.

1 Anes
1 Surgery
1 Peds
1 FP
1 Rads

I went with who ever knew me best personally. :luck:
sushi1.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1 Anes
1 Surgery
1 Peds
1 FP
1 Rads

I went with who ever knew me best personally. :luck:

Wow...five is a lot of letters. Did you use all of those at each program?

I thought three was pretty much the norm, and possibly another one if it adds something significant or if you are using it selectively at a certain program (e.g. a letter from an attending from someplace you did an away as a part of your application to that institution).

Wow...five is a lot of letters. Did you use all of those at each program?

I thought three was pretty much the norm, and possibly another one if it adds something significant or if you are using it selectively at a certain program (e.g. a letter from an attending from someplace you did an away as a part of your application to that institution).

ello scotch' :hello:

did not use the letters yet, just been collecting them through out the year. Will probably pick 3 to send. Is 3 the norms?? I've heard max of 5. Any how...

can you name the dimsums:
800px-Dimsum-shanghai.JPG

ello scotch' :hello:

did not use the letters yet, just been collecting them through out the year. Will probably pick 3 to send. Is 3 the norms?? I've heard max of 5. Any how...

can you name the dimsums:
800px-Dimsum-shanghai.JPG

I can't name them but they all look delicious. Except maybe for the black things in the lower right...

From what I recall, most programs will require 3 letters be submitted on your behalf. I don't really remember any programs placing limits on how many you can turn in, but I think that if you went over 3 you should probably have a really good reason for doing so. As far as how many to submit (or probably more importantly in your case: which ones) I would find a good advisor (emphasis on good) and get his/her opinion.

Finding a good advisor is, from my experience, easier said than done. It's hard to find someone who 1) knows the right information about applications, ERAS, various programs, NRMP, etc; and 2) can and will honestly appraise your candidacy and give advice accordingly.

i submitted all four... just couldn't decide which one to skip.
i will second the notion that it is hard to find a well informed advisor....my advisor was very ill informed -- he meant well but gave me lots of wrong information

i will second the notion that it is hard to find a well informed advisor....my advisor was very ill informed -- he meant well but gave me lots of wrong information

i agree. what are some of the advices your advisors gave you guys that you could share with us gas newbies? +pad+ i'll start with some:

1. If you are doing an away rotation in the fall. ASK NOW (in June-July) if they could set up an interview for you at the end of your rotation!

more food:: name the crusine!
1473413572_bac2917590.jpg

greek food? and yes, the food pics are weird...either that or i need to have another drink ;-)

greek food? and yes, the food pics are weird...either that or i need to have another drink ;-)

Have another drink Amy! My movers FINALLY got here today and I went to happy hour just as soon as the last box was unpacked.

Ironically...we're going for Asian food tonight: sushi :D

Have another drink Amy! My movers FINALLY got here today and I went to happy hour just as soon as the last box was unpacked.

Ironically...we're going for Asian food tonight: sushi :D

1) sushi is my fav, the best I've ever had was at tsukiji fish market in tokyo! Didn't mean to be weird with the pics, was hungry & browsing around different dinner options in another window. :hardy:

2) I've read the FAQs stickies but... some posts are a bit old don't you think?

3) for those who used VSAS, did you guys like the new away rotation application system?

Last edited:
Hopefully what you guys have said about doing procedures early on in the year doesnt prove true, since Ill be starting my 4 wk anesthesia rotation tomorrow...

This will be the final deciding factor whether I do this or ER. I really hope I end up liking it, because alot of things seem to be pointing me in that direction. :)

prazmatic, i struggled with ANES vs. ER -- there are more procedures in anes if thats your bag. ER is alot of primary care stuff and frusterating turfing issues with FM docs sending you every chest pain/GERD patient that they don't want to deal with litiginously (is that a word? if not should be). ER was interesting and exciting for a month or two but it would have gotten old... At the ER i worked at they started these forms for chest pain, abdominal pain, etc. with the whole work up already checked off...felt like a triage nurse after awhile.
all the ER docs that had done it for ten years were jaded and ineffective.... not so with the anes docs i worked with. think long term....

Hopefully what you guys have said about doing procedures early on in the year doesnt prove true, since Ill be starting my 4 wk anesthesia rotation tomorrow...

This will be the final deciding factor whether I do this or ER. I really hope I end up liking it, because alot of things seem to be pointing me in that direction. :)

Amyl, Prazmatic, same with me...it was either ER or Anes (or Rads/Path = due to my art background) What attracted me to both ER and Anes was the short but meaningful patient contact....but...for me it came down these factors!

Anes: Love the OR
ER: Hate the Floors

Anes: You Sit Vigilantly.
ER: You Stand and Run Forest Run!!!

Anes: Sterile!!!!!! well ..unless you're in a total ishemic bowel case...
ER: Not so clean...

Anes: Peace most of the time with 10% "Control Chaos" .
ER: Antfarm...

Anes: Equal roles when patients are crashing.
ER: Trauma Surgeons call the shots on the "trauma" cases

Anes: Order in the OR
ER: Chaos in the ER

Anes: You give the meds! You know that it's done because you're the one doing it.
ER: You still write orders for nurses. Bleh...

Go with Gas and you'll be Glad!

Last edited:

you are my advisor

awwww, thanks ;-)!
well i recommend you stop looking into residency programs all together and just come to CCF....('course i might be a little biased ;-)

So far, im halfway through my anesthesia rotation. It hasnt been quite what I expected... but nevertheless, I have fun while Im there.

I take it with a grain of salt because I am a student. I am aware I will not be able to do PICC lines, dorsal root blocks, etc., nor will I be able to even INTUBATE patients who are Mallampati III or IV. In any other way, I have tried to do as many procedures as I could get my hands on. Next wk, when the CA-1s start, I will try to avoid them and pair myself up with seniors.

Anesthesia is very different from anything else I have done. It takes a while to get used to, but after that, things are OK.

Last edited by a moderator: