Fourth Year Away Rotations and Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize there are other threads out there on fourth year rotations, but I had a couple of questions and felt that they could better be answered with a new thread.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing two week aways to see how I would fit into certain programs. I suppose that since I'm not actually looking to impress, two weeks would be adequate. What do you all think of this? I already know that the general idea is that the away can either help or hurt, depending on performance, but I'm not looking to gain recognition, just to see how I fit with residents in the programs. Obviously I'll still work hard, but that won't be my main goal.

Also, I'm curious as to what other electives should I be looking at? I enjoy neurology, so I'm going to do a two week neuro wards rotation...Hopefully I'll get a few spinal taps. I'm planning on doing a month of ID and a month of radiology. Anesthesiology, ICU, and a rural rotation are required here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I realize there are other threads out there on fourth year rotations, but I had a couple of questions and felt that they could better be answered with a new thread.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing two week aways to see how I would fit into certain programs. I suppose that since I'm not actually looking to impress, two weeks would be adequate. What do you all think of this? I already know that the general idea is that the away can either help or hurt, depending on performance, but I'm not looking to gain recognition, just to see how I fit with residents in the programs. Obviously I'll still work hard, but that won't be my main goal.

Also, I'm curious as to what other electives should I be looking at? I enjoy neurology, so I'm going to do a two week neuro wards rotation...Hopefully I'll get a few spinal taps. I'm planning on doing a month of ID and a month of radiology. Anesthesiology, ICU, and a rural rotation are required here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

The thing about away rotations in IM is that, especially for the 2 week ones, you will generally be on a subspecialty service where you're more likely to interact with fellows and subspecialty attendings and maybe 1 or 2 residents at the most (other than the ones who consult you) so they're not going to be particularly helpful WRT getting the feel of a place. The upside is that you won't be getting evaluated by the residents and IM attendings so nobody will ever know what a nightmare you were (or weren't) to work with. I did a couple of 2 week aways and it was a huge waste of time and energy. I worked my ass off and nobody cared.

As to your second question, I'll be completely honest. Nothing will prepare you for being an intern. Nothing. Doing the rotations you mention won't hurt and they may help. But they won't make a significant dent in your July 1 "OMGWTFBBQ!!!!" feeling. An ICU rotation may help you not completely s*** the bed on your first ICU month as a resident.

The thing about away rotations in IM is that, especially for the 2 week ones, you will generally be on a subspecialty service where you're more likely to interact with fellows and subspecialty attendings and maybe 1 or 2 residents at the most (other than the ones who consult you) so they're not going to be particularly helpful WRT getting the feel of a place. The upside is that you won't be getting evaluated by the residents and IM attendings so nobody will ever know what a nightmare you were (or weren't) to work with. I did a couple of 2 week aways and it was a huge waste of time and energy. I worked my ass off and nobody cared.

As to your second question, I'll be completely honest. Nothing will prepare you for being an intern. Nothing. Doing the rotations you mention won't hurt and they may help. But they won't make a significant dent in your July 1 "OMGWTFBBQ!!!!" feeling. An ICU rotation may help you not completely s*** the bed on your first ICU month as a resident.

Thanks.

I don't know necessarily that I'm looking for rotations to "prepare" me for internship...I'm more looking for rotations that I *should* do to make the most of my time. I realize that nothing will prepare me for the next step up. I'm looking more for a rotation that, if I don't do, I'll look back and say, "Dang, that might have been helpful to rotate through during fourth year..."

Thanks.

I don't know necessarily that I'm looking for rotations to "prepare" me for internship...I'm more looking for rotations that I *should* do to make the most of my time. I realize that nothing will prepare me for the next step up. I'm looking more for a rotation that, if I don't do, I'll look back and say, "Dang, that might have been helpful to rotate through during fourth year..."

My answer's still pretty much the same. Especially if you're only doing 2 weeks.

The two things I wish I'd done were ICU and Rads. But I still did fine without them and had a lovely time doing 8 weeks of "research" instead.