doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Fresno
Status (Visible)
Anyone else think that good looking people are more likely to be worse doctors than ugly doctors. Especially with this interview thing. If you are a girl and you are not hot you are totally at a disadvantage. But if you manage to get in and you are ugly, 9/10 you have to be uber qualified.

FoxyDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2000
USA
Status (Visible)
Well then I guess Doctorcynical will be the best doctor ever!

About the Ads

stomper627

Go Cougs!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Lyndhurst, NJ
Status (Visible)
I guess thats why I go to a "community college medical school" Thanks cynical....you just made my day....yesterday you were trying to tear me down....now your just filling me up with pride....you are one great man!!! Keep up the good work.
stomper

Swiper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
How about doctors that actually are foxes?

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
I do not recall ever seeing hot girls at any of the schools I visited. Heck, I didn't see any amongst the applicants. Perhaps they filter applicants when they ask for photo attached to your app. I guess all these schools I visited must produce awesome doctors.

niema

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2004
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
This thread makes the assumption that good-looking girls don't make great doctors. Where are you people getting your information? I'd like to argue that beautiful people make better doctors because instead of going out on dates all the time they CHOOSE to study. Not out of necessity (b/c there was simply nothing else for them to do) but because they love this stuff.

KarateGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
:laugh: Funny thread. And I love how everyone assumes this argument applies only to females.

I will counter with the idea that good-looking doctors make better clinical physicians because they are more charismatic and probably have better interpersonal skills. And if you really believe any of this I have some land in the Everglades I'd like to sell ya.

My mother had surgery in the fall, and her surgeon was very attractive and charismatic. He walked around the hospital with an entourage. She loved him. Oh, and he was also an incredible surgeon.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
Wow, the animosity between DC and FoxyDoc is overwhelming today. It's also very amusing. Keep up the fireworks!

About the Ads

JM.

The Yellow Dart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2003
I would not eat them in a box
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by niema
This thread makes the assumption that good-looking girls don't make great doctors. Where are you people getting your information? I'd like to argue that beautiful people make better doctors because instead of going out on dates all the time they CHOOSE to study. Not out of necessity (b/c there was simply nothing else for them to do) but because they love this stuff.

:rolleyes:

Downhill Racer

Midnight Skier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2002
Status (Visible)
There was a show on 20/20 a while back that conducted an "experiment" in which more attractive people faired better on job interviews. In a short time frame I would also predict, everything being equal, patients, colleagues staff in a hospital would also initially develop a greater rapport/evaluate more highly the more attractive person, I think thats human nature.

After initial encounters, the best separate from the rest as with everything. Hardwork, luck, effort... and who says the beautiful people don't have to work to maintain themselves... heck if they didnt we'd have plastic surgeons lookin for a new career!

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by doctorcynical
Anyone else think that good looking people are more likely to be worse doctors than ugly doctors. Especially with this interview thing. If you are a girl and you are not hot you are totally at a disadvantage. But if you manage to get in and you are ugly, 9/10 you have to be uber qualified.

Interesting theory...

[size=0.25]perhaps if we all agreed with everything you had to say, it'd be incentive for you to go away (or a least keep it real).[/SIZE]

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by niema

I'd like to argue that this post is crap. :rolleyes:

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by pekq
I do not recall ever seeing hot girls at any of the schools I visited. Heck, I didn't see any amongst the applicants. Perhaps they filter applicants when they ask for photo attached to your app. I guess all these schools I visited must produce awesome doctors.

thats too bad. i was graced with some pretty women at the msu interview, and at ucla. good times.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by jlee9531
thats too bad. i was graced with some pretty women at the msu interview, and at ucla. good times.

"Good times"...wow that opens up to much imagination ;)

Lochmoor

15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Austin, TX
Status (Visible)
My friends and I have this theory that part of being "hot" is the packaging, not just the package itself. So, basically a girl in a really nice looking skirt and blouse with her hari done ect. looks much better than a girl in jeans anda looste t-shirt.

So, it's not that intelligent people are not good looking, they just do not spend enough time working on the packaging. Most likely due to lack of time.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
Los Angleeez
Status (Visible)
actually, my mom told me to "ugly down" for the day of my interview.....she said med schools don't like to accept good-looking girls....i didn't listen to her....and i'm still waiting to hear from USC....could she have been right???:laugh:

brownsdawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
actually at the school i'm going to i noticed lots of good looking women in the classes above me, and the girls i know that got in are both good looking...

i wonder if that played into them getting in...

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
This is absolutely one of the most hotly debated concepts in medicine today.

Do good looking people, particularly women, make good physicians?

I want to thank DC for bringing this to our attention, and I think this should be a good, academic debate.

I, for one, believe that "good looking" people are just as competent as physicians, even more so.

But when deciding this, we have to have a standard to base who is "hot" and who is "not." I propose that the medical community use a long standing GOLD STANDARD for judging the future ability of their applicants:

hotornot.com

Thats right. Using the passport photo, med schools can easily assess an applicant's potential contribution to the field of medicine. No one knows who is "hotter" than teenie boppers clicking away on the web.

All an Adcom needs do is paste the pic up on the web at hotornot, and wait to get about 1000 hits on the picture. This should be an accurate sample size. There should be two standards: one for men and one for women.

Here is to teenie boppers and websites that make America great. Here is to hotornot!

CCW

Lochmoor

15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Austin, TX
Status (Visible)
Ahhh yes i remember hotornot.com Brings me back to Friday nights......errrr i mean ummmm nights before exams when my friends and I would go surfing through the pics on that site.

There have been some very interesing spoofs of that site that I'm sure DC would probably enjoy:)

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Lochmoor
My friends and I have this theory that part of being "hot" is the packaging, not just the package itself. So, basically a girl in a really nice looking skirt and blouse with her hari done ect. looks much better than a girl in jeans anda looste t-shirt.

So, it's not that intelligent people are not good looking, they just do not spend enough time working on the packaging. Most likely due to lack of time.

I second that

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey doctorcynical. Haven't you come to the conclusion that your novelty has warn off, and now your posts are just poor repetitive attempts to milk your fifteen seconds of fame for all it's worth?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.