Foye's Medicinal Chemistry text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxlynn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I would appreciate opinions on this text book. It is not required, but I am trying to decide whether to buy myself a used copy for reference.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I severely doubt you'll need it for class as most classes at most schools rarely necessitate a book. I didn't need it at all at WVU. The instructor passed out detailed notes that were sufficient for acquiring the needed knowledge and passing his exams. That said, I think it was the most interesting textbook in all of pharmacy school. It gave me something interesting to look at in between being forced to take therapeutics classes....and staring at that Dipiro book that is the size of the New York City Yellow Pages. Of course I love pharmacology and medicinal chemistry while simultaneously hate that boring ass clinical pharmacy stuff....so keep that in mind....

Don't buy it, it is a waste of $$. It is not an easy book to read and I don't see how it would help too much in med chem. It was our school's required med chem book. I never bought it and got A's in all 3 qtrs of med chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on your professor... I had difficulty understanding the big picture when I was just going from lectures. I thought Foye's was incredibly helpful to see the same material explained in a different way. I should also mention that I had a rather weak chem background, so maybe this book helped me more than it would have others.

You could always buy it and sell it to someone in the class below you when you're done with it!

Yah I think it's a waste of money too. It was an "optional buy" in my class. I My friend bought it and never looked at it once.

It also depends on how good you take notes and how good your professor is. Some people may need the textbook for a reference- I personally did not

Unfortunately, my professor wrote one of the chapters so he made it mandatory for the class. I have picked it up once (to move it to another room). Don't waste the money.

I have to concur. I bought it, and occassionally look at it, but I haven't found it to be particularly helpful. It never hurt me to look at it either, so if you found it for $20 I'd say go for it.

Check in your library, most of our textbooks are in their reserved section. We can only check them out for 4 hours at a time, but it's nice to photocopy problem sets from this without having to buy the book.