Fp Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddindoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can some one pls tell me waht are some good electives that i can do for a FP residency??
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

don't do any electives just for FP residency...you have plenty of time to be a resident. use the elective as a chance to explore those areas that you won't have any chance to do so in the future....

otherwise, derm rotations are always good, as is an ICU or ER rotation. i took a peds cardio elective in med school just to know what to do with all those peds murmurs.. adult cards is good to since there's so much htn/chf/cad you'll be dealin' with...

but if you wanted to do a path elective just cuz you won't be able to as a resident, that's cool too.

So far I am planning on FP, and now I am in an endocrine elective (partly because endocrine is one of the other things I am considering). I have only been on the rotation a week, but I have already learned a ton. I think this rotation will be great for me because there are SO MANY diabetics that an FP will see, and learning things like how much to adjust a patient's insulin dose if their sugars are such and such a level in the morning, at dinner, etc. is really important. Diabetes affects all organ systems, and the rotation is like having another medicine rotation, so I really think it will be good for me and I will learn a lot about how to manage a patient and ALL their problems.

So endocrine is also a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also going into FP and I would suggest at least a few weeks of OB in fourth year, especially if it's been awhile since you did it in your third year. Outside of that I would certainly agree with doing something you are interested in and won't get to do later on.

I suggest some ortho or sports medicine. You will see a lot of musculoskeletal complaints in FP and it would be beneficial. I had a internal medicine clinic my intern year and was always at a loss with what to do with musculoskeletal complaints b/c I never had ortho or sports med as a med student.

thanks a lot for the info

Would suggest OBGYN, peds and ER rotations.