FP specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can a family practice doctor decide to specialize after completing a residency in FP w/o doing a separate residency in another field. I don't necessarily mean can a FP decide to be a neurologist and just do it. I'm not that oblivious to the purpose of residencies. For example, if an FP decided to specialize in diabetes management and attempted to become an expert in that area where he would primarily see diabetes patients (are there endocrinologists???). Another one that comes to mind would be balance disorders (mixing what FP, otology, and neurology might see) or some other niche that might not fall within some particular specialty. Would pain management be one? I know some anesthesiologists and maybe internists might do that but I imagine there's some fellowship for that, right?
I'm kinda ignorant about this whole thing so if you could shed some light on it I'd appreciate it. I guess the issue might come up if someone chose FP and later decided they wanted a more specific focus or possibly if a particular specialty doesnt exist.
 
You can probably do anything you want as long as you are w/in the boundaries of the law and your malpractice policy. The problem w/ the type of specialization you talk about, for example endocrinology, is that you would not get reimbursed as a specialist whereas an IM doc who completed a fellowship in endocrinology would.