FRAP explained

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoangDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure there's a chance that I can get a FRAP passage so I thought I might as well try to understand it now, than during the DAT (tomorrow). Hopefully by trying to explain it to you guys, I'll understand this a little better, and please feel free to add or correct any of this.

So FRAP- fluorescence recovery after photobleaching.
Purpose: to study mobility of nearby proteins.

How/Experiment: induce/determine/define flourscense level of nearby proteins of interest. Flashed/photobleach a specific target. This will make small area very dark compared to the nearby induced flourscent proteins. After some time, flourscent molecules will diffuse (if mobile) towards and into the bleached/dark area. Eventually nearby flourscent molecules will mix with the bleached out area's visibility/floursence is recovered.

Conculusion: (lol this was not intended to be a lab write up) So diffusional mobility could be studied by monitoring the how fast flourscence returns to the photobleached area. If the fluorscene recovery is fast, nearby proteins are highly mobile ("high % recovery with fast mobility). If the recovery is slow or none, nearby proteins are not mobile ("low % recovery with slow mobility").

Ok, so if the the nearby proteins are anchorered, you're gonna have low % recovery and slow mobility.
If the nearby proteins are large but is not anchored, you will get high % recovery but with slow mobility.
-yada yada yada....you get the pattern.

Wiki it to find the graph image, and hopefully this helps. It helped me atleast =) .

peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hop eyou do well- you know your stuff
Thanks fo rthe frap its worth millions let u sknow how you do- im praying for you!

here..FRAP cartoon image and graph from WIKI.

Attachments

• frap.jpg
    frap.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 109
Hop eyou do well- you know your stuff
Thanks fo rthe frap its worth millions let u sknow how you do- im praying for you!

Hey thanks jdent! that means alot bro. I sure could use as may prayer as possibles! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good info. FRAP can be utilized in studying axonal transport (to put it in a practical sense). Anyway, good luck tomorrow man, I know your ready and going to do well!

Good luck Hoang!!! Thanks for the explanation!!! You've been an enormous help to me and im sure to a lot of sdners!! Ill def be praying for you tom too!!!!! Conquer and destroy!!

in one of the threads on FRAP, someone posted a really link to an animation. it might help ppl visualize the process better.

Cool! I'm glad a coupe of people found this useful. And thanks for all the warm wishes guys and girls ...

Dr.Hoya, where the hell have you been? haha I remember your exam is end of this month...good luck on your's too!!

Cool! I'm glad a coupe of people found this useful. And thanks for all the warm wishes guys and girls ...

Dr.Hoya, where the hell have you been? haha I remember your exam is end of this month...good luck on your's too!!

So how are you planning on studying in these last few hours?

Haha, yeah its next tuesday. I've been hibernating here and there. Once again, good luck tomorrow.