Can someone give explain for why I can't get this simple math problem correct with this method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentalwhiz

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Simplify: (24x^-2*y^-10)/ (3x^-5*y^4)... I got 8x^3/y^-14, which is wrong. I approached this problem by using the rule of subtracting analogous terms when dividing exponents. I know that negative exponents are equal too 1/n (the way the book approached the problem), but isn't my approach to this problem used correct as well? I may have been studying for too long today; some clarification would be great.
 
Last edited:
The four in the problem is positive, thus (through my approach) -10 - (4)= -14. Either way, both would be incorrect according to the solution which is: 8x^3/y^14. That is not a typo; they are both positive exponents.
 
Okay, so when I tried it I got:
24x^-2*y^-10/3x^-5*y^4
24/3 = 8
x^-2/x^-5 = -2 - (-5) = 3 --> x^3
y^-10/y^4 = -10 - (4) = -14 --> y^-14
You get: 8x^3*y^-14 (everything is in the numerator when you do this subtracting method)
Which becomes: 8x^3/y^14
You're doing it right, but when you subtract, remember that anything you're left with is found in the numerator.
Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so when I tried it I got:
24x^-2*y^-10/3x^-5*y^4
24/3 = 8
x^-2/x^-5 = -2 - (-5) = 3 --> x^3
y^-10/y^4 = -10 - (4) = -14 --> y^-14
You get: 8x^3*y^-14 (everything is in the numerator when you do this subtracting method)
Which becomes: 8x^3/y^14
You're doing it right, but when you subtract, remember that anything you're left with is found in the numerator.
Hope this helps.
THANKS! I'm not sure how I missed that, I was stuck on that problem for a while thinking I had the rule incorrectly applied. Great explanation
 
Simplify: (24x^-2*y^-10)/ (3x^-5*y^4)... I got 8x^3/y^-14, which is wrong. I approached this problem by using the rule of subtracting analogous terms when dividing exponents. I know that negative exponents are equal too 1/n (the way the book approached the problem), but isn't my approach to this problem used correct as well? I may have been studying for too long today; some clarification would be great.
yes you did it correctly except for the part that involves the variable y:

y^(-10)/y^4 = y^ (-10-4) = y^(-14) in the numerator. To make the exponent positive, you bring it to the denominator and you get :8x^3/y^14.

here is another example : x^(-3)/x^(4) = x^(-3-4) = x^(-7) = 1/x^(7)