Frap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rromantico

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is FRAP and how can I study this?

Members don't see this ad.

fluorescence radiation photobleaching

it is a Biology Lab technique. Do some searching.

FRAP stands for Fluorescence Recovery after Photobleaching. It is a lab technique that measures the lateral diffusion rate of membrane proteins.

Step 1: Attach fluorescence tags to proteins on the plasma membrane and measure the amount of light in an area

Step 2: photobleach the area, which simply destroys the tags in that area, ridding it of any fluorescence.

Step 3: Start your stopwatch and measure the same area in increments of time. Slowly, the tagged proteins from outside the area will move into the area, giving it fluorescence. The rate at which it comes back is related to the lateral diffusion rate of the proteins in the membrane.

If you're looking for more information about it, I remember studying it in Biochemistry.

Hope this helps,

LBT

Thank you for your response littlebabytooth. I have been researching it but your post has very clear steps and its easy to understand. Thank you i'm sure this well help alot of other people!!!