Freaking out about leaving my cat behind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowmix1712

SGUSVM c/o 2020!!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the Vet Prep program at Ross for Fall 2016. I'm overjoyed and still in shock but as I research everything I am starting to freak out. I'm fine leaving my cat with my parents for the prep semester, but any longer is going to kill me.

She was declawed horribly before we got her and has paw issues, arthritis starting on her spine and getting up there in age. She hates standing on hard surfaces so it was very upsetting to see that *every* living option I have seen on the island is tile floors. My parents travel quite a bit, sometimes for 3-4 months, so they are having trouble figuring this all out also. This may seem trivial but she truly is my child and I cried about this last night. The idea of giving her up is out of the question.

I still have 5 U.S. schools to hear from which obviously would make this easier, but I'm not holding my breath. If anyone has any suggestions or helping words I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said, seems trivial. But are carpets easily found/bought on the island or am I shipping that? I think a big part of my worry is the not knowing what is readily available on the island. I'm trying to reach out to my friend who just graduated from there but she's on nights so it's tough to get a hold of her. I'm also worried about the car situation, if I can't find a place within walking distance. This is all just going to be some crazy big life adjustments that I've never had to deal with before lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
@jmo1012 @allygator13 I know we're talking two different schools here, but you guys know more about island life than most of us

Reactions: 1 user
It is true that most island housing is tile, I have yet to see any house or apartment here with carpeting unfortunately. Not sure on the carpet situation on the island, especially over in St. Kitts but I wouldn't think it would be something that would be available since nobody uses it. You would probably have to ship it if you wanted it. It's relatively easy to ship barrels of stuff here, I'd think it would be similar shipping to St. Kitts but I'm not positive on that. Sorry I can't be of more help :\

I honestly can't think of anywhere that had carpet in grenada, but it grosses me out to even consider it given the high humidity and relative lack of central air. Recipe for mold and mildew and health problems.

It's true you could ship it, but it wouldn't be cheap (likely several hundred dollars).

Honestly, if it's that big of a deal (and I certainly can understand not wanting to leave her behind), this may not be a good option for you. You need to consider what you are willing to give up, and not wanting to leave her behind but not having a good option for her on the island may be a deal breaker for you. You need to be happy at school in order to succeed. Moving to another country is a huge move whether it feels that way or not.

Reactions: 1 users
How about rugs? Maybe even just a single room that the cat can have to herself.

Either way, I would wait until you hear from the US schools before you make any final decisions. It may end up that you are worrying about this for no reason.

Yeah if I can at least find area rugs and have several of them down it would be something.

Definitely waiting on US schools, but also just had my SGU app switched from fall (was rejected) to Jan 2016 which is even closer! I'm less freaked out now though. I knew I just needed to exlpode on a post and get it all out haha.

Yeah if I can at least find area rugs and have several of them down it would be something.

Definitely waiting on US schools, but also just had my SGU app switched from fall (was rejected) to Jan 2016 which is even closer! I'm less freaked out now though. I knew I just needed to exlpode on a post and get it all out haha.
FWIW, part of the reason why I turned down UF was the traveling I'd force my pets to go through. Flying home for holidays would likely require me to board them somewhere for extended periods of time, and I'm not comfortable with that. One of my cats is a very bad traveler. I could have left them at home, but what's the point of me adopting these pets if I'm dumping them on my parents (who wouldn't be thrilled with the responsiblity)? IMO, turning down an offer because it just isn't feasible for your pets is a valid reason, but I also had another acceptance.

i wouldnt expect to find decent rugs, and they certainly wont be cheap (i'm talking probably hundreds of dollars realistically for a few rugs, because its just not a popular commodity) just fyi. i'm trying to think if any of my friends apartments had rugs, and i really dont think they did. everything was tile because it was easy to maintain, and the humidity issue. think enough humidity to have damp bed sheets...

also, my understanding is that most ross students end up purchasing a car there because the area immediately near the school isnt the best/safest for housing. you can live within walking/busing distance of school at SGU.

i guess it also seems to me like you need to really think about what traveling with an older kitty is about. there are many pets that do it no problem, but it certainly becomes more stressful for older pets and pets with chronic health issues. would your kitty tolerate the climate change and new surroundings? is she a higher stress animal or one who tolerates changes easily? could you see her flying all day on an airplane? what will you do with her between semesters if you leave the island? neither of my dogs liked flying, but i knew that it was occasionally going to be one day of misery for many many days of a good life, however, i left my guinea pig with my family because even if she had been flyable, i knew that there was no way she would tolerate the travel and stress of moving, and that if anything happened to her because of all the stress i put her through for my benefit, that i would never be able to forgive myself. it can be tough to put their needs ahead of our emotional desires. just make sure you're doing this with her best interests truly at heart :)

Totally agree with what is up above, but playing devil's advocate and assuming somehow Ross was your only option and the parents just can't do it so you need softer floors:

How about bamboo or hemp mats? No rotting regardless of moisture. They don't grow mold or mildew easily and a loose weave is pretty soft under foot. They can be picked up easily too. Depending on how big you get them, they are pretty light weight so you can pick them up to clean too.

I don't know about pricing, but they also make fabric and fibers out of both materials so you could get a more typical rug, but at that point I think they would be too absorbant (since I use both fibers for cloth diapers).

Totally agree with what is up above, but playing devil's advocate and assuming somehow Ross was your only option and the parents just can't do it so you need softer floors:

How about bamboo or hemp mats? No rotting regardless of moisture. They don't grow mold or mildew easily and a loose weave is pretty soft under foot. They can be picked up easily too. Depending on how big you get them, they are pretty light weight so you can pick them up to clean too.

I don't know about pricing, but they also make fabric and fibers out of both materials so you could get a more typical rug, but at that point I think they would be too absorbant (since I use both fibers for cloth diapers).

Totally not apropos the actual discussion, but this "ok, well what's the best solution to a no-great-solution problem" type of thinking will serve you well in vet med.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the input/suggestions. My thinking right now is since I already have to get bath mats anyways, a few extra around the apartment might be fine. She is 13 and the spinal arthritis is only just starting. Her paws are something I think she has adjusted to enough that as long as I have some soft patches for her to go to, she won't be crying in pain or anything.

As far as travel, great questions and all something I have no idea about. The farthest she has been is maybe several miles in the city, and she does great, but who knows how good she is for longer. She has always been fine adjusting to moves and even fine with entire changes in litter right away, pretty chill cat but also never had to deal with high stress situations.

If my parents are ok with at least one semester of having her things should be ok. Truly, them not taking her is selfish on their part as their only grip is having to fly with her and my brother being allergic and might not want to visit lol. They understand this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and should be willing to make sacrifices to help.

If my parents are ok with at least one semester of having her things should be ok. Truly, them not taking her is selfish on their part as their only grip is having to fly with her and my brother being allergic and might not want to visit lol. They understand this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and should be willing to make sacrifices to help.
I'd just like to say that this isn't very gracious thinking of your parents. No matter what, the responsibility falls on you to provide care and a safe home for your cat. It's not their responsibility, and being unwilling to take on your responsibility is not selfish of them.

Just sayin...

Reactions: 8 users
I agree. I re-read that after and realized it made me sound like a bitch lol. This cat was theirs before I moved out and took her and they love her and we love each other and have a happy family! Didn't mean to come across that way. I'm stressed and worried but things are looking up regarding all this :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the input/suggestions. My thinking right now is since I already have to get bath mats anyways, a few extra around the apartment might be fine. She is 13 and the spinal arthritis is only just starting. Her paws are something I think she has adjusted to enough that as long as I have some soft patches for her to go to, she won't be crying in pain or anything.

As far as travel, great questions and all something I have no idea about. The farthest she has been is maybe several miles in the city, and she does great, but who knows how good she is for longer. She has always been fine adjusting to moves and even fine with entire changes in litter right away, pretty chill cat but also never had to deal with high stress situations.

Maybe exposing your cat gradually to stressful/travel-related stimuli might help her cope? Going for short (then progressively longer) car rides each day, spending time in her carrier, etc. I know a car ride isn't comparable to a plane, but it could help.

What about blankets or sheets or towels? If those might be cheaper to get on the island than rugs, you could make some soft cat napping spots throughout the apartment. And they would be nice and washable. Although I don't know, would that be a problem to have pet bedding on the ground (I'm thinking about scorpions and spiders, I have no idea which critters live on the island)?

Hi @Meowmix1712,
I believe in never giving up pets myself. You have plenty of time to come up with a solution, so don't stress.

Congrats on the vet prep acceptance! I have also applied to Ross for fall 2016 (through VMCAS) maybe I'll see you on the island next fall!

Right now there is a very good chance I am going to leave her behind and with a good friend who used to work with me in the clinic. Did some soul searching and I truly believe it would be in my best interest as a student and her best interest as an aged cat. I actually think I would be more stressed taking her with me and having her on the island and having to transport her back and forth. Kinda like protective mommy instincts lol I want what is least stressful for her and having a friend nearby that would love to care for her is a great piece of mind.

@jmo1012 thank you for posing some tough questions that I hadn't thought about and was likely to overlook.

@rockatiel good luck! Hope to see you on the island!

Right now there is a very good chance I am going to leave her behind and with a good friend who used to work with me in the clinic. Did some soul searching and I truly believe it would be in my best interest as a student and her best interest as an aged cat. I actually think I would be more stressed taking her with me and having her on the island and having to transport her back and forth. Kinda like protective mommy instincts lol I want what is least stressful for her and having a friend nearby that would love to care for her is a great piece of mind.

@jmo1012 thank you for posing some tough questions that I hadn't thought about and was likely to overlook.

@rockatiel good luck! Hope to see you on the island!
i had a lot of "huh" moments in vet school where i hadn't really thought things through as thoroughly as i should have, and although they worked out, they could have just as easily gone the other way. i try to bring legitimate concerns up with prospective island students, because the decision to go to an island school is so much bigger than a state school. i've known very unhappy people at these schools and its no fun to be around, and its no fun to feel that way. it can impede your success, so i want prospectives to be as well informed as possible since you are making a huge investment in yourself :) going to vet school in the US is a big change, going to vet school out of the country is life changing. for some, it is the best thing that could have happened to them (i fall into that group). it takes more planning and more resilience and more flexibility. best of luck to you with whatever you decide! sounds like you have at least a semester to work out the logistical details, so you can talk to current students in person about it too :)