Freaking out again- Will I get into any veterinary schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittPreVet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've posted threads like this a time or two, and I just need more honest advice / encouragement on how I'm gonna fair in applying to veterinary school this summer/fall.

Second semester junior (male) at a branch of the University of Pittsburgh.
I'm a PA resident and planned on applying to Penn, Ohio State, Washington State, Oregon State, University of Florida, and Midwestern in Phoenix. I've looked into Kansas State as well.

Stats- 3.4-3.5 cumulative GPA, Science should be a 3.4 or above, last 45 is definitely a 3.4 and or above, still need to get my spring semester grades to finalize these. I just know everything is a 3.4 and above. I haven't taken the GRE yet. Do vet schools look at individual grades? Would it look good that I've gotten As in bio 1, 2, genetics, chem 1,2, orgo 1,2, and stats? mostly Bs in other prereqs... or do they just look at GPAs and nothing in depth?

I grew up on a farm so that's at least 200 hours of large animal experience in the family farm section on VMCAS(if that's a thing), - I fed all of my animals, cared for ill ones, and assisted visiting veterinarians in procedures done on my animals, 100+ at an animal (dog/cat) shelter, 50+ at the time of application at a wildlife place, 500+ small animal veterinary as a tech and not even 1/5th of it is shadowing, and I project myself having 200+ of zoo animal experience through an internship this summer. I plan on shadowing/working at an equine hospital (if I get in) or continuing to shadow at the small animal practice I go to that accepts exotic patients, and practices TCVM.

Does anybody have any thoughts on if I will get into any of those schools, granted I do well on the GRE and get well written letters of recommendation, that I listed? I tried having some top tier, middle, and lower ranked schools to even myself out. I anticipated a higher GPA this semester to boost myself but then physics 2 happened.

I'd like to think if granted interviews I could convey my intents, interests, and passions for entering veterinary medicine- so much that it would overcome my lower scale GPA(s). I think I have a versatile, fairly well rounded bit of animal and veterinary experiences.

Members don't see this ad.