freaking out, need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aja19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the AAMC tests #3-7 with scores ranging from a 23-27. For each section my scores ranged: PS 8-10, VR 7-9, Bio 9-10.

When I review the tests, there is about 10-15 problems in each tests that were just small mistakes that I could'nt believe I made. Verbal is just killing me. On AAMC 7, I got a 6...yes a 6 on verbal.

I wanted to take the August 26 test date but the seats are all full, so now I have to take the August 15 test date. That means I have roughly less that 3 weeks till the exam. I'm trying to put in 10-12 hours a day from now until then...is that enough time to see some improvements?

Looking for some inspiration more than anything. Did anyone have a similar score trend who ended up getting 30 or above on the real thing?

I feel as if I need to brush up on organic chemistry, physics, and VERBAL since I get almost all of the biology and chemistry question correct.

Members don't see this ad.

you will improve

3 weeks is ALOT of time if you use it wisely! I am in the same boat as you.. i've only taken 1 aamc and I scored a 29. My goal is a 33. From tomorrow and onwards im going hardcore and just making MCAT my life until I write. You can do it! Have faith!

I have taken the AAMC tests #3-7 with scores ranging from a 23-27. For each section my scores ranged: PS 8-10, VR 7-9, Bio 9-10.

When I review the tests, there is about 10-15 problems in each tests that were just small mistakes that I could'nt believe I made. Verbal is just killing me. On AAMC 7, I got a 6...yes a 6 on verbal.

I wanted to take the August 26 test date but the seats are all full, so now I have to take the August 15 test date. That means I have roughly less that 3 weeks till the exam. I'm trying to put in 10-12 hours a day from now until then...is that enough time to see some improvements?

Looking for some inspiration more than anything. Did anyone have a similar score trend who ended up getting 30 or above on the real thing?

I feel as if I need to brush up on organic chemistry, physics, and VERBAL since I get almost all of the biology and chemistry question correct.

I'm in the same situation as you - I have 11 days to go (taking the 8/7) and still scoring very low on verbal, and pretty decent on PS/BS. Practice every day. I have been getting 1/6 on some passages that are just ridiculous and 7/7 on passages that are merely easier to understand, and one of my friends who got a 34 said a lot of it is luck. Many people I have talked to said you see the most improvement in the last 1-2 weeks before the test. Do LOTS of passages every day, timed, and just do the best you can.

Luck does not play a major role into the MCAT unless:
1. You have some glaring weaknesses
2. A section score is above 13

In the first case, you can have some luck by not getting the content you're weak in. For the second, once you get above 13, the different between getting a 14 or 15 is extremely low. Hence, luck plays a part. In most, circumstances, there is very little luck. At most, luck could maybe affect a well prepared person +/- 1 or 2 points, maybe 3 at most.

For the OP:

You should really consider pushing your test back, NOT forward. Never go rushing into taking an MCAT unprepared. This will most likely led to undesirable results. I've only heard of a few handful of people that went into the MCAT with 27ish practice scores and came out with a low 30. Don't expect a miracle to happen.

Your best bet is to delay and work on fixing your content weaknesses. What kind of study material are you using? If you aren't using the EK 1001 series, I suggest you pick them up. They can help you get the basics down in the science sections. Furthermore, they help people with sub 10 scores in PS and BS the most.

All too often I hear about people taking the MCAT with 26 or 27s and they get a 26 or 27. Then they come back surprised. Don't be one of those people. There is no rush to take the MCAT. Wait until you're ready, then take the MCAT and destroy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I feel ready, and I've been feeling ready but my practice scores aren't showing it. I just went over my AAMC test and a lot of the mistakes were once again minor mistakes in which I didn't read the question right or had a calculation error. I know I have to focus a lot more on verbal.

Although I am scoring mid 20's right now, I was thinking that in 2-3 weeks of hardcore studying, I'll be right where I want to be. Extending the date might be overkill since I start classes in the end of August. The main thing that frustrates me when I look back to the tests is that if I didn't make the 10-12 or so minor mistakes to answers that I knew, then I would be in 30 range...

The material I have been using is: Kaplan online material and the EK study packet. I don't have the EK 1001 set.

Well I feel ready, and I've been feeling ready but my practice scores aren't showing it. I just went over my AAMC test and a lot of the mistakes were once again minor mistakes in which I didn't read the question right or had a calculation error. I know I have to focus a lot more on verbal.

Although I am scoring mid 20's right now, I was thinking that in 2-3 weeks of hardcore studying, I'll be right where I want to be. Extending the date might be overkill since I start classes in the end of August. The main thing that frustrates me when I look back to the tests is that if I didn't make the 10-12 or so minor mistakes to answers that I knew, then I would be in 30 range...

The material I have been using is: Kaplan online material and the EK study packet. I don't have the EK 1001 set.

If you can, try to finish with about 5-7 minutes on the physics and bio sections. This will give you the time to go back through the test and check some of your answers. Go through physics the first time making sure that your answers make mathematical sense, then when you see them again try to see if your answer makes intuitive sense. If you know your physics as well as you say you do (meaning you're better than your scores) then the right answer should satisfy both.

maybe you can cancel the aug date and sign up in september. that will give you plenty of time to study, and there wont be any rush.