Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Freaking out...please help!

Discussion in 'Step I' started by loca Dr. chica, Apr 18, 2007.

1. loca Dr. chica

loca Dr. chica Junior Member

I recently got the scores back from the Comprehensive Basic Sciences Exam and I did a few points below passing. I haven't reviewed anything from 1st year and haven't had time to use the review books throughout 2nd yr like I planned to. I have heard that your actual Step score is usually only 30 to 40 points above this baseline. This would put me below a 220 and my goal was at least a 240. If I study for 6 weeks straight, about 10-12 hrs a day, is it even possible to do around a 240? I'm an average student - do a few points above average each block but never honors. At this point, I'm just really discouraged and have no motivation. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should take a 3rd yr rotation off to do better on Step. Please be honest and let me know what I can expect...

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Teejay

Teejay Team Player

Medical Student
    Just get yourself back on track. Use your fear to your advantage-as a motivator not a discouragement. Always remember that nothing is impossible to achieve. Go over first aid and start doing practice questions as soon as you can. I have heard success stories but guess what! they gave up everything and married thier books. If you can give up everything and study intensely in the next few weeks, you''ll be glad you did it.

4. jpjp110

jpjp110 New Member

Have you talked to your school's career counselor about your results? At our school we would have to have a mandatory meeting with them to discuss our plans and the results if we score below a 185. Our school has a policy that we can't even sit for the USMLE until we get a 185 on the exam. Does your school have a similiar policy or require that you meet with them?

Does your school even allow you to take a rotation off to study for the step? We aren't allowed to take a rotation off to study for it.

I wouldn't feel bad about the results since you say you got around a 185 before even really studying for it then I would imagine with intensive studying you would be able to get a 240.

Just out if curiosity how did other people in your class do? Was there a group who got below a 185 or just a handful of students?

5. joe6102

joe6102 by the power of grayskull

Resident [Any Field]
    At my school, they say the national average of the CBSE is 200 with a SD of 20. But the average on step 1 last year was 215. Check to see if that is the case at your school. In that case, a ~180 would be closer to 200 on the actual step 1 exam.

Better yet, pay the $45 and do an NBME form. They are known to be very predictive.

6. automan2

(waiting for amory blaine to chyme in saying 240 isn't for everyone...........)

7. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!

Resident [Any Field]
    Somebody's been studying too much GI! :D

8. cromagnon

continue freaking out, most everyone is averaging 240 without going through 1st year stuff or any review books.

the majority of students hit their target score before they start preparing for step 1. even if you were hitting 237.7 right now i doubt you would be able to accomplish much in six weeks.

best of luck though. miracles happen...you just have to believe.

9. doctorp82

doctorp82 Palpating preschoolers

Medical Student
    Isn't the CBSE the NBME's Step 2 assessment? The NBME forms that assess for Step 1 are the CBSSA (Comp. Basic Science Self-Assess).

I was pleased to get a 204 (form 2, 440) without much studying outside of doing micro for two weeks. If the OP is right I've got 235+ potential :D. There is a Step 1 score estimator online a friend showed me. Just google for "Step 1 Score Estimator" and it should be the first link.

10. automan2

Actually, I just suck at slpelngi

It sounds right in my head, but doesn't quite fit the social norm.

11. premed7

premed7 Member

so according to you, there's no point in studying? I should take the exam tomorrow and go on a six-week vacation somewhere and be happy with my 185?

12. domer621

domer621 MS4

Medical Student
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard this. I think most people would agree that the x amount of weeks they take for studying for the Step 1 is time well-spent.

13. KNightInBlue

thats ridiculous. You mean to say I will hit the same score whether I take it now (after 2nd yr ended) or 2 months from now when I have done some hardcore studying?

14. doctorp82

doctorp82 Palpating preschoolers

Medical Student
    Sounds like some kind of anti-Step-1 disinformation scheme.

15. blz

blz Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    cromagnon is obv being sarcastic. he's trying to make the point that the OP is freaking out about what her potential score might be after not even having started to study. which i agree is pretty stupid.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. cromagnon

okay, okay...my sarcasm obviously was lost on you guys.

just rephrasing the OP's post to demonstrate how silly it is to be worried at this point with 6 weeks (aka forever) to study.

To be worried about a low score on the CBSE when you havent been through any review books or 1st year stuff seems kind of unneccessary.

sometimes you need people to say "dont be a dumba$$" instead of "you can do it"

p.s. i would never say "believe in miracles" in real life. if i do you are personally authorized to slap me senseless.

18. cromagnon

wow, you paraphrased my post while i was writing it. you are a freaking mind reader!

19. blz

blz Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yea I can't believe some of the advice on this thread about going to see a counselor and crap? wth! how about you study something first...

20. joe6102

Resident [Any Field]
    I have no idea. The OP called it the computer based self assessment, so I called it the CBSE. There's no confusion; we are all talking about the same thing.

21. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!

Resident [Any Field]
    CBSE is not computer-based. It's a paper exam with 200 questions given by your school. You can't buy it anywhere. It's not the same as NBME 2.

22. joe6102

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I said "computer based", I meant "comprehensive basic". I must have studied way too much today. Time to get some :sleep:

23. mules05

mules05 Member

We just took that at our school, and are waiting to get scores back. I heard from the dean of student affairs that very few students even pass it, because it's given as a self-assessment (the scores don't count), and it happens right after a big test so no one has studied anything but the material for that test. Unless you're taking the basic science shelf after a week or two of reviewing all the step 1 material, I find it hard to believe that anyone could do well having not seen half of the material for over a year.