Free babysitting. Great ECs for med schools ?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So yeah, I am planning to some free babysitting for the low income people in our area. I wouldn't mind doing it because taking care of kids is fun for me and it's gonna be useful when I have kids in the future.

So yeah, does free-babysitting look great for ECs for med schools ?
 
um, i mean it looks fine i guess. It kinda just is what it is - babysitting. Its not impressive by any means. Its just a differetn type of volunteer service. If thats what you enjoy doing then by all means do it, but its not going to "look good."

Just a general rule of thumb: do the things that you find interesting and will make you happy. You shouldnt really ever have to think "hmm will this look good on my resume?" Becuase if you just do what you enjoy doing then you are building your resume with out even really thinking about it, and thats what is going to make you an interesting applicant.
 
I think it may look more impressive if you volunteered your child care services to aid an organization. Often non-profit organizations (homeless shelters, food pantries, job training centers) are looking for free babysitters. This would be beneficial to you as well, as you'd learn about how these organizations work.

As a side note, I provided free babysitting to families in my neighborhood, but I did not list this on my resume or grad school applications. I considered it a nice thing to do for others and left it at that.