Free laptop/iPad at med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do many medical schools distribute free laptops of a certain brand/model or iPads to first years during orientation? Would these devices be built into the curriculum such that students are almost forced to use the iPad rather than their other personal preferences? Can students return these devices to the school for a partial refund?

I've only heard about this and I am currently debating whether to buy a new electronic device for note-taking and other school-related purposes. I'm not a huge fan of the iPad and I would rather purchase my own laptop.

Members don't see this ad.

Do many medical schools distribute free laptops of a certain brand/model or iPads to first years during orientation? Would these devices be built into the curriculum such that students are almost forced to use the iPad rather than their other personal preferences? Can students return these devices to the school for a partial refund?

I've only heard about this and I am currently debating whether to buy a new electronic device for note-taking and other school-related purposes. I'm not a huge fan of the iPad and I would rather purchase my own laptop.

Not sure about which schools do this but I do know that the schools charge a fee that is equivalent to the price of an iPad for this :p

I interviewed at WVU and they're switching from the lenovo laptop for macbooks I think and the pricing is integrated into the tuition. Idk about getting a refund or w/e.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marshall started giving IPads to 1st years this past August. I know if you already have one they will subtract the cost from your tuition . However, I have no idea about potential options if you do not want one.

From my understanding many schools put that into the cost of tuition so essentially you're overpaying for what you can buy on your own

Are these devices usually laptops, MacBooks, iPads, or other tablets?

And can we refuse them in order to save a few hundred dollars from tuition?

I think this is entirely school dependent.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Also wondering which med schools give everybody a laptop or iPad... I know it isn't really "free," but I ask because I plan to buy a new computer and/or iPad soon, but I'll wait if I might end up getting one bundled into my tuition anyway.

Also wondering which med schools give everybody a laptop or iPad... I know it isn't really "free," but I ask because I plan to buy a new computer and/or iPad soon, but I'll wait if I might end up getting one bundled into my tuition anyway.

Cornell gave iPads, not sure if they still do

AZCOM gives out IPAD to all their first years. You have to return the laptop at the end of the four years anyway so returning at the beginning of your four years gets you nothing anyway. It's not required to use, but I'm not sure if there would be compatibility issues using other systems (i.e. accessing Podcasts, etc)

I interviewed at WVU and they're switching from the lenovo laptop for macbooks I think and the pricing is integrated into the tuition. Idk about getting a refund or w/e.

Is this for sure? I've heard it a lot, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up of it's just a rumor.

Anyway, you'll probably have to contact each school to find out OP. You could probably find out what the schools give out on here or on the website, but the return for less tuition thing will be pretty school specific I would think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools I remember talking about 'giving' Ipads: UCI, Cornell, Yale, UPenn(?)

Some of the schools talked about the price of the iPad being covered by donors and not being covered in tuition but :shrug:

The UCB/UCSF JMP reimburses $2,000 towards the purchase of a computer(tuition is set by the university and not the program so I think this is one way to try to reduce the overall costs of the 5 year program).

I think Mayo provides their students with laptops. When their tuition was virtually nothing you could have argued this was a 'free' laptop :p but now that the school is not as cheap...you are probably paying for it in one way or another.

Last edited:
You will always be paying for it. Look for that technology line in your tuition.

I don't understand why people like iPads so much. There's literally nothing a laptop can't do that a iPad can.

Any reason why a school would pay 500-1000 dollars more per computer for computers which have worse hardware? Institutions seem to have an obsession with apple. I probably would just get an android tablet 300 dollar cheaper with better hardware.

UPenn Perelman = "free" iPads lol

Like other posters said, nothing is free

UVM "gives" students laptops for their four years there. They're required for exams so it works for them. They do overcharge you a lot for it (3k for a mediocre laptop) but they will fix it/replace it for you as long as you're a student.

Wow--if they switched OFF from ThinkPads--I'd be shocked.

I've heard it from a lot of people so I think it's true. I know they have their PT and OT students macs this year, probably trying it out.

I've heard it from a lot of people so I think it's true. I know they have their PT and OT students macs this year, probably trying it out.

I know MS1 students that already have macbooks this year.

Obviously it's school dependent.

At UCI, you're given free iPads that are yours to keep (given by a donation: http://ocunwired.blog.ocregister.com/2011/08/05/all-uci-medical-students-get-ipad-2/10251/). They've been giving the students whatever the latest iPad is. They're doing a trial to see if the iPad mini will be given to the next incoming year.

You certainly don't have to use them and some people in my class don't use them often. I mostly just used my own MacBook last year. But this year I've switched to the iPad for taking notes in class and for studying (no more printing notes which is a colossal waste of paper) and it's pretty awesome.

The advantage to the iPads is that they're mobile. I hear the MS3s (the first class at our school to get the iPads) carry them around at their rotations and can be quite nifty. You can store your textbooks on it, use med apps, look things up, and access electronic medical records. They fit in our white coats.

That's cool that you can access the EMR with your ipads. The EMR system I use isn't compatible with the ipads

Obviously it's school dependent.

At UCI, you're given free iPads that are yours to keep (given by a donation: http://ocunwired.blog.ocregister.com/2011/08/05/all-uci-medical-students-get-ipad-2/10251/). They've been giving the students whatever the latest iPad is. They're doing a trial to see if the iPad mini will be given to the next incoming year.

You certainly don't have to use them and some people in my class don't use them often. I mostly just used my own MacBook last year. But this year I've switched to the iPad for taking notes in class and for studying (no more printing notes which is a colossal waste of paper) and it's pretty awesome.

The advantage to the iPads is that they're mobile. I hear the MS3s (the first class at our school to get the iPads) carry them around at their rotations and can be quite nifty. You can store your textbooks on it, use med apps, look things up, and access electronic medical records. They fit in our white coats.

Android or Windows tablets do not have nearly as many med apps, do they?

Also, does anyone use iPads or tablets to write (with an electronic pen) rather than type notes?

University of Arizona does this.

To be honest, when you look at their FA packet and how much the CoA is...I think a 400 dollar iPad is the least they can do. :p

Rush said they are going to start giving out preloaded ipads this year.

Pretty sure it was Rush... January started to mesh together though...

I don't understand why people like iPads so much. There's literally nothing a laptop can't do that a iPad can.

I guess the touch-screen is too tempting for people...:rolleyes:

MS1's at TCOM got Dell ultra-thin laptops AND iPads.....

They told us during the interview day. It was the first I heard of such a thing.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near med school time but I'm just wondering if you have a Nexus 7 can you just say you do and have the technology fee normally for the iPad waved off?

Dumb as hell question but still curious.