Free lunches during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most/all residency programs provide free lunches for their residents (usually coupled with a seminar or lecture)?
I think it would be kind of neat not to have to spend money on an extra meal every day for 3+ years.

Members don't see this ad.

Do most/all residency programs provide free lunches for their residents (usually coupled with a seminar or lecture)?
I think it would be kind of neat not to have to spend money on an extra meal every day for 3+ years.

I don't know dude but one guy I met said his entire residency they had this special room where they had free gourmet meals, candy, cakes, drinks, etc. that the residents could take from whenever they pleased. That's money-in-the-bank, shorty-what-chu-drank right there.

Reactions: 1 users
Free food-providing programs are definitely rank list clinchers

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can only have mediocre pizza everyday for lunch for so long, though.

Unless you're at a community based program that has a lot if extra money to feed the residents, expect to buy it or bring from home, most of your lunches.

Lots of programs have a food stipend for the on-call residents though. It's even listed whether or not a program has it on FRIEDA. It's actually going to factor into my decision some because who wants to worry how much the food costs when you're really hungry and busy.

Free lunches are available in many residency programs but in several cases, this statement seems completely inaccurate. For medical interns working in our university hospital, sole salaries have been provided as small compensation for their great efforts and frequently sufficient to afford their daily living costs. The amount of medical interns'wage is predicated on what department they are working for and often fluctuates between 300 and 450$ per month :)

Lots of programs have a food stipend for the on-call residents though. It's even listed whether or not a program has it on FRIEDA. It's actually going to factor into my decision some because who wants to worry how much the food costs when you're really hungry and busy.
This.

I get a lot of money for my food, and one or two places I went to were unlimited. Surgery programs usually give you some stipend.

This.

I get a lot of money for my food, and one or two places I went to were unlimited. Surgery programs usually give you some stipend.

Dude, unlimited? I'd never go grocery shopping again!

I used to abuse the system on OB nights. Just lost the short white coat and posed as an intern.

I used to abuse the system on OB nights. Just lost the short white coat and posed as an intern.
So I looked up the spreadsheet I made during my interview season. These were the food options I had written down. Don't ask me to explain what the adjectives mean now, lol.

?
over $2000
okay
good
$2200/yr
good
$1500/yr
unlimited
$1000/yr
good ($1000/yr)
?
unlimited
okay

It varies by program. At the places I have been, the residents lounge foods range from a bowl of fruit to a closet full of chips, candy and oreos, to whatever tray was leftover from various departmental meetings earlier in the day. During interview season, the PD puts out a nice spread for applicants that residents hit like vultures. There are various sponsored breakfast meetings and grand rounds throughout the hospital that you can sneak into and grab food during each week, definitely not a daily thing, and definitely fewer than were the norm when drug reps were allowed to pay. Thanksgiving and Xmas, the hospitals generally put out food for the staff. Other than those examples, at most places, you are on your own. Plus bear in mind that months you are on at night, none of these spreads put out for meetings helps you much, so you are stuck grabbing Oreos at 2 am when you finally ave time to eat. One or two places I interviewed at gave residents meal vouchers as a perquisite, but those only help you if you have time to eat at a time when the cafeteria is open (not always the case), and the places that offered those perqs always seemed to be offering that because they lacked in some other aspect that was important to me.

We got monthly vouchers (and later on in residency a debit card type thing) that gave us a certain amount of $ per overnight call to be used for food at our main hospital. Had to use it all yourself. Day call and home call did not get a food stipend. Not sure now with the newly changed intern call rules if they now will give a stipend for less than a 24 hr call. Other hospitals we rotated at also had their own set protocols for resident food stipends.

The hospital most of my rotations are at has a $6.00 per night limit, but the cafeteria or grill is open 24 hr (not always hot food, but sandwiches/drinks/salad at least). You just have to say you're a resident on call and be there past 7p. It was great on OB because you could go pick up pre-packaged stuff when you weren't busy then dig in later when you got hungry.

One of the programs I'm considering gives 2k a year for food, definitely merits consideration!

haha story of my life. Ditch the white coat, wear them scrubs and pose like you know what you're doing. Free food ya'll!

Is it appropriate to ask other residents about stipend during residency interviews? Like, during the lunch time.

My residency program will rue the day they contracted me an unlimited meal policy.

Is it appropriate to ask other residents about stipend during residency interviews? Like, during the lunch time.

I plan on it. The dinners with the residents are a good time to ask day-to-day stuff like that. I'm sure they were considering the same stuff when they were interviewing.

It varies by program. At the places I have been, the residents lounge foods range from a bowl of fruit to a closet full of chips, candy and oreos, to whatever tray was leftover from various departmental meetings earlier in the day. During interview season, the PD puts out a nice spread for applicants that residents hit like vultures. There are various sponsored breakfast meetings and grand rounds throughout the hospital that you can sneak into and grab food during each week, definitely not a daily thing, and definitely fewer than were the norm when drug reps were allowed to pay. Thanksgiving and Xmas, the hospitals generally put out food for the staff. Other than those examples, at most places, you are on your own. Plus bear in mind that months you are on at night, none of these spreads put out for meetings helps you much, so you are stuck grabbing Oreos at 2 am when you finally ave time to eat. One or two places I interviewed at gave residents meal vouchers as a perquisite, but those only help you if you have time to eat at a time when the cafeteria is open (not always the case), and the places that offered those perqs always seemed to be offering that because they lacked in some other aspect that was important to me.
Must be a surgery thing then. Nearly all (maybe all) of the places I went gave you at least a pretty substantial sum for food every day.

Sure. It's like an extra $1500 in salary. Even more so for health insurance.

Residency programs are all over the place ranging from unlimited free food to minimal.

Unless you're at a community based program that has a lot if extra money to feed the residents, expect to buy it or bring from home, most of your lunches.
I don’t know that this is true.

As an intern, on medicine we had regular noon lectures during which food was provided. Neuro also had lectures with food. Psych residents also always had a lecture once a week, regardless of service (unless you were on nights or ICU), and lunch was provided.

During PGY 2-4, there were like 2-3 lectures per week between the classes, and food was provided. If the lecture wasn’t for your class, you were still encouraged to come down and get food to bring back to your office/whatever.

During COVID, there became a concern that the catered lunches posed a transmission risk, and many of the didactics moved to zoom anyway, which were attended by residents in their offices. As a result, they stopped catering food. To compensate for this, they put extra money on our cards to use at the various dining options in the hospital. If we ran out, we had to email someone to put more funds on the card, but it was basically unlimited food funds.

Additionally, we also always had funds added to our cards proportional to how much call/night shift we had during a given quarter.

This was a psych residency at a large academic center on the east coast.

When I was in residency, there was lots of free food which I didn't take advantage of. I did take advantage of the free Haagen Dazs ice cream, taking home lots of it. So much that I started getting fat so I stopped. At one time, I had something like 25 individual cups of Haagen Dazs in my home freezer and eating like 3 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.