Free Radical rxns - DAT Destroyer O-Chem #8, 2011 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Applicant12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's a dumb question, but I'm a little confused about free radical reactions. When something undergoes Br2 and light, doesn't it add anti-markovnikov? Or am I just confusing concepts?
 
I know it's a dumb question, but I'm a little confused about free radical reactions. When something undergoes Br2 and light, doesn't it add anti-markovnikov? Or am I just confusing concepts?

no, its a whole different mechanism for radical reactions. Remember that with non alkenes, the radical halogenation will add to the more substituted alkyl ( forming most stable radical intermediate)...

halogenation will mostly work anti markovnikov when you are using hydroboration ( BH3, H202) or whenever you see a dehydrating reagent with hydrogen peroxide ( ONLY WITH BROMINES for the ROOR reactions) will it undergo anti markovnikov.

Hope that made sense
 
Just remember that there are only 2 reactions that will go ANTI-MARKONIKOV. They use the reagents shows below:
BH3/THF in H2O2, OH- = Has H2O2
HBr/H2O2 = Has H2O2

Those are the only reactions that go anti-markonikov in ochem (could be more but for DAT purposes that's enough)

Now, if i put HCl in H2O2; it will still go MARKONIKOV.. b/c the 2 rxns mentioned above are the ONLY ones that go ANTI-MARKONIKOV.. REMEMBER!!!!

Now, for radical reactions; there are only 2 of them which include::
Cl2 in hv or H2O2 or light = produces mixture of products (exothermic)
Br2 in hv or H2O2 or light = produces only 1 MOST STABLE product (endothermic)

I2 and F2 do not occur b/c they are highly unstable. F2 is too exothermic so it reacts really FAST.. I2 is slow as hell since its highly endothermic..

Just remember, Cl2 or Br2 in H2O2 = still Cl or Br adds to the most substituted C... Only exception is that Cl2 gives you mixture of products while Br2 gives you only 1 most stable product..

HOpe that made sense..