free USMLE 150 question test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllUpOnYoMama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up. I just took the free 150 test and scored a 76% medfriends=231. My test is on monday august 3rd. Any advice on what I should do for the last week? I finished world about a week ago and have been redoing questions since... about 200 questions per day (Im just reading the educational objectives which allows me to go through about 200 questions/day) and reviewing about 50 pages of FA/day. The DIT professor mentioned that we should stop doing questions 5 days prior and concentrate on FA. I debating whether to follow this advice or keep dividing my days between questions and FA... any thoughts? Thanks for the advice and good luck to those still studying

Members don't see this ad.

i hope this helps

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52SmLrA7Pk[/YOUTUBE]

Does the free 150 give you a rundown by subject like the NBME? I can't remember. Focus on your weaknesses. Take another NBME if you need a real quick subject breakdown of your deficits. The last week you can make real strides on your weak subjects (I turned micro from my 2nd worst to my 2nd best), while making gains on subjects you're already strong in is less high yield in such a limited timeframe.

The free 150 2 days before the exam was the most accurate predictor of my score, oddly enough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The free 150 was not that predictive for me BUT I took it at the beginning. Looking back, it was pretty high yield so you should do well if you know what you should by step-time.

It did scare me into picking up the pace...I should take it again for kicks.

I would recommend against doing another NBME. If you've been doing 200 ?'s per day you should have a relatively good idea of where your weaknesses lie and you can plan accordingly. My performance on specific subjects on the NBMEs were not very consistent and I've heard so from other people (because it really depends on how much of each topic ends up on the form and how hard the questions are for each topic). It will kill a half of a day to do an NBME pretty much and will also cost $55. You know what you need to work on, so spend your time accordingly. If you feel like you're still learning by re-doing questions then keep it up, otherwise maybe switch to FA if you keep having Eureka! moments as you read that.

Hey buddy, they're not ready for it yet. Trust me.

Post#429, nothing but crickets.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645746&page=9

I missed lab (slept in) on the day the doctor was discussing upper limb and origin of the phrase "funny bone". I hope you missed that day as well. I realize the suck factor of what I just said, but I had to bring it down a few notches for the crowd. Temporary.

To the OP:
I think you should continue to do the educational objectives + FA, that's a great idea. I marked all the Q's with pictures and good graphs while I did FA and it was worthwhile for me to go over those again during crunch time.

I would suggest doing a chapter in FA and then a few UW Q's/educational objectives from that section immediately afterwards. You could easily knock that out with how much time you have left and it seems like you know your S pretty well too. Alrighty, goodluck. And laugh, damn it. :D

I forgot to add.. on the last day you should review all the forgettable crap like some of the stuff in pathology and pharmacology chapters in FA + immuno markers and that rapid review section in the back. Call me crazy, but the morning of the exam I did 20 practice Q's at my home before going to prometric. I didn't look at the result of those Q's though... it just helped me to warm up and curb the anxiety.

I laughed at your post, just didn't comment! :laugh: