Freebies at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey- Could anyone tell me what programs they interviewed at treated them the best. Free hotel, dinner, plane trip, hospitality,etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory was the ONLY program to pay for my hotel, and I interviewed at 18 places all over the country. Emory also had shuttle service for the whole interview day, so we did not have to worry about transportation. They gave us a bag, coffee mug, etc. as freebies. So, Emory gets my vote!

Most places provided dinner the night before as well as breakfast and lunch the day of the interview.

Scott & White in TX paid for hotel
Univ Tenn at Knoxville gave t-shirts
Vandy gave tote bags :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo pays for hotel.
Everyone else just gave dinner the night before, breakfast and then lunch the day of. (Univ OK, SIU, Duke, Wash U, UT-H, UT-SW, Ohio State, UAB)
Ohio State also gave a tote bag.
Most give you a folder with the info and like a free pen.
IF the dinner the night before was at someone's house they usually arrange residents to drive you out there.

You usually don't know who does what until after you get an offer for an interview (obviously.)

We are definitely not in the specialties (like Medicine, Path, and some of the others) that role out the red carpet or anything-Path especially.

I interviewed at 9 places and Maine Medical Center was the only one who paid for my hotel - they gave me a choice of hotel or B&B. The rest just gave out folders, tote bags, pens....Oh yeah I got a piece of pottery from UNM. And everywhere paid for dinner the night before and usually breakfast and lunch on the interview day too.

Aurora Health Care Program, Milwaukee, Wisconsin;
Oakwood Hospital & medical center, Dearborn, MI;
Penn State Univ, Heshey, PA
These places offered free hotel stay and dinner the night before.
Texas Tech @ El Paso -Travel coffee mug & pens, Oakwood - lunch bag & some pens..