Freezing point? A colligative property?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

going2breakdown

Hoop jumper extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an answer here that says in solution BaCl2 has a lower freezing point than NaOH, or NH4NO3. I know that boiling point elevation and freezing point depression are colligative properties, but is freezing point a colligative property on it's own? Does this just have to do with the fact that it is in solution?
 
I have an answer here that says in solution BaCl2 has a lower freezing point than NaOH, or NH4NO3. I know that boiling point elevation and freezing point depression are colligative properties, but is freezing point a colligative property on it's own? Does this just have to do with the fact that it is in solution?

freezing point is also known as the melting point which is also known as fusion. the mp is an intrinsic property for all substances, meaning it does not matter how much you have of a substance because regardless it will always melt at the same conditions (unless it is not pure, which in this case is considered a colligative effect because of the amount of impurities you have). freezing point depression is a colligative property which is based solely on the amount of particles you have in solution, which is not a pure substance.