Freshman first semester GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up yall,
I'm a freshman finishing up my first semester at an instate University. I'm waiting on some of my other final grades to come in, but as of now I have somewhere around a 2.5-2.6 gpa. I'm wondering if I have a chance to bring it up to a respectable one before I apply to Med School. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to work very VERY hard. My first semester GPA was a 2.91. 2nd semester 3.67. I had a 4.0 or close to it the rest of the time. My cumulative GPA is somewhere around a 3.8 after this semester. It looks very good to adcoms to have a strong upward trend. Shows dedication and hard work, which they value. Make sure you bring it up. Study longer and harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your sub-par GPA is from only one semester. If you figure out where you went wrong and fix it so this never happens again, you can definitely get it up into the competitive range before graduation. Get straight As from now on, and don't be distracted by less important matters.

What's up yall,
I'm a freshman finishing up my first semester at an instate University. I'm waiting on some of my other final grades to come in, but as of now I have somewhere around a 2.5-2.6 gpa. I'm wondering if I have a chance to bring it up to a respectable one before I apply to Med School. Thanks in advance.

I get the feeling that if we told you, "NO, you have no chance at all," you'd try even harder to get good grades just to try to prove us all wrong. So,

"NO, you have absolutely no chance at all!" ;)

4.0s til the end and you'll be good.

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely will do better, seeing as I understand the mistakes I made this semester. From here on out, I will take the proper steps to ensure that those same mistakes don't occur again. Appreciate the help. Happy Holidays!

4.0s til the end and you'll be good.

Why do people always say this? Granted, it's not impossible, but getting 7 semesters of straight 4.0's (and in pre-med curriculum to boot) is pretty unlikely.

For the sake of allowing me to do math I haven't done in a while.

If we say one semester is equal to about 16 credits.

You're at a 2.5 right now.

Let's say 2nd semester you get a 3.25.

Sophomore year you get all A-, that's a 3.7

Junior year you sit at a 3.85

Senior year you get that vaunted 4.0

This averages out to a 3.6.

The average is a 3.65

To get a 3.66, you'd just need to average A- next semester.

In other words, it's early in your school career, and not that hard.

Good luck!

Why do people always say this? Granted, it's not impossible, but getting 7 semesters of straight 4.0's (and in pre-med curriculum to boot) is pretty unlikely.

I didn't say it was required, I just told him, he'll be fine.

You are fine. I had the same thing first semester freshman year. I just made about a 3.7 from there on (and threw in a few more C's). I ended up with a 3.5 and go to a top 20 med school.

Maybe for you.

LOLOL, SOOO JK. You set that one up, and I just couldn't help but knock it down. =P. Seriously, though. JK.

I had a pretty bad freshmen year. But now I'm a junior with a cumulative 3.6 gpa. It was HARD to get it up to a 3.6 but I'm aiming for 3.7 or 3.8.

Its very possible but your gonna have to work much harder than if you just did well from the start. Boosting your average from a 2.6-3.6 means u need basically all A's and maybe letting a few A minuses/B+ slip in from time to time. So there isn't much room for error.

Also it gets harder and harder each year as you get more credits. Getting a 3.8 in your junior year might only bring your average by like .06 points or something extremely small.

Right now if you get a 4.0 next semester you can bring up your gpa to a 3.3. Next semester 3.5, the semester after and then a 3.65, then 3.72, and finally a 3.76 the end of junior year! Thats the grade medical schools will look at. This is if get all A's (see how the increments get smaller and smaller?)

As you can see its gonna be a tough battle. I recommend you start studying for next semesters classes now.

What's up yall,

yep.. get your **** together son. Tell those ladies they'll have to sit a few more plays out and lay off the booze during the week