Freshman gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redrocket91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up with a <3.0 gpa for the first year of college. I got a B in general chemistry, B+ in calc and C+ in organic chemistry. I am taking orgo 2 and general physics next semester. Should i continue going down this path to dental school? is it still worth it? I am extremely nervous and hesitating right now. Please help me out and if there is any advice that you can give me, please do.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My first 35 credits = 2.93 GPA @Community college

My Last 100+ credits = 3.94 @4 Year University

It sounds like you need to start off by strategically planning your courses better. What is the hurry in getting O-Chem done as a freshmen? You should have both gen chems finished and a little more experience under your belt.

You may be capable of passing classes and being the "smart" young kid in class but that will not get you into dental school. Lighten the load a little bit by taking a few science classes and mixing in a few "Fluff" classes.

1 c is not bad and as a FRESHMAN you still have plenty of time to make it up. Don't give up the dream. Just be willing to put in the effort and be smart about your schedule:thumbup:

I ended up with a <3.0 gpa for the first year of college. I got a B in general chemistry, B+ in calc and C+ in organic chemistry. I am taking orgo 2 and general physics next semester. Should i continue going down this path to dental school? is it still worth it? I am extremely nervous and hesitating right now. Please help me out and if there is any advice that you can give me, please do.
Thank you

There is nothing we can do..... You need to buck up and get better grades.

Getting into dental school is not about how you did in a single college year, its about your OVERALL performance (i.e overall GPA and science GPA).

It seems like you hurt the GPA a little bit, but its easily fixable if you decide to work hard in the upcoming years. By time your a senior (and if you take my advice seriously) you can bring that GPA to a much more respectable level of 3.4+ (maybe even higher).

There is still alot of hope for you, but you need to start taking your classes more seriously (no exceptions, no excuses)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you

Like others said: get your game face on and get that nose in the books. Stop dirnking/partying, fratting, smoking the reefer, playing campus golf, watching the youtubes, surfing the interwebs, playing D&D/worldofwarcraft/diabloIII(ifitevercomesout....) etc.