Freshman NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakijiga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, im gona be serious now, im a freshman goin to nycom and i wanted to know what all the other freshman think about Dean Ross's new policy that lab was going to be in the morning. here is the schedule lab 8-12, lunch, class 1-3. i personally feel that you get really tired during lab and you are just gona get drained all day and that is gona ruin your ability to function for the rest of the day. lemme know..
i was also talking to some upperclassmen about books. NYCOM's book list is like 20 books long.. all of which are fairly expensive. most of the books we arent even going to open i heard, so you probably dont need to buy them, but to each his own.
-anyways lemme know what you think of the new lab policy.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i agree 100%. let me preface by saying that i have heard wonderful things abour Dean Ross-Lee. from everyone. i hate labs, i hate the standing around and wasting time. i wish they were in the afternoon. i also learn better in the morning so i wish lectures were in the morning. in addition, i would love to take a shower as soon as anatomy is over, the prospect of walking around w/that smell on my skin and hair and having to eat and stuff is really gross. but, i am sure it will work out. i am thrilled about the reduction of class time. susan

Do you think 2 hours is enough time for class? Not that I like sitting in a lecture hall, but i think my most productive learning comes from being taught, not teaching myself. Whats the average amount of class hours for most medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
you dont learn from classes in medical school, you teach yourself. most schools have the same amount of class time as nycom.

although the book list is long. when you guys meet with your big brothers/sisters next Tuesday, ask them which book you should get or useful in terms of class. I agree not every textbook is helpful with the short amount of study time. Some of us use review books and lecture note to study for the exam. Again, do not rush in to the book store to get all the books. You will start to know and decide what you really need and use. .....:p :p :p

here is my opinion based on my first two years looking back:

the reduction in class time will allow you to be able to study after class (before once class was over....you were so drained that studying was not as efficient as it could be).

as per labs in the AM.... I could see both sides of the coin

good luck as you begin :D

Unfortunately whatever your opinion on the labs, this is the way it's gonna stay for the incoming class. If enough of you voice your displeasure with it, it may be moved back to the afternoons for next year but no such luck for this year. I agree that it should be in the afternoons b/c nobody wants to stick around school after anatomy lab.

As far as the book list, definitely don't buy all of them. Check out the webboard and talk to people that's the best way to go about things. And you probably shouldn't buy all your books too early. Buy them as the classes change and the need comes b/c as time goes on, you'll see how you need to study and you'll figure out if you need extra review books or not to pass the classes.

You'll all be fine, don't worry and don't hesitate to ask upperclassmen for help.