Freshman Organic Chemistry

Started by Oraange
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oraange

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster (those MCAT forums are /quite/ instructive). I'm also a third-year undergrad who is about to register for classes next semester, and I have been receiving conflicting advice regarding the following matter.

Here are the chemistry classes I have taken so far, and my grades:
AP Chemistry: 5 (credit received in college)
Organic Chem I w/lab: A- w/A
Organic Chem II w/lab: A w/A
Biochemistry (no lab): A
Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences (no lab): Currently taking
Organometallic Chemistry (no lab this semester): Currently taking

Next semester, I will be taking Analytical Chemistry w/lab. There is also an option to take a 2-credit Organometallic Chemistry lab. My MCAT is a 38 (14/11/13) if that makes any impact.

But here is the situation. Since I placed into Organic Chemistry as a freshman, I did not take General Chemistry in college. There is a year-long requirement in all medical schools to take this course. I have taken some advanced chemistry courses but have been avoiding a one-semester upper-level Inorganic Chemistry class, which I hear involves intensive calculus.

My questions are:
(a) Do I /have/ to take the Inorganic Chemistry class (since the medical school requirement is technically a year of inorganic chemistry with lab)?
(b) If I take Analytical Chemistry with lab /and/ the Organometallic chemistry lab, could this count as the requirement for a year of upper level chemistry with lab?

Thank you guys so much in advance for the help!

- A confused pre-med -
 
You need a year of general inorganic chemistry with labs (8sh). Whether that be the upper level course involving calculus or the freshman levels. So no, I dont believe, and I may be wrong, that a semester of analytical and organometallic(sp?) will count as the requirement. Man if you really don't want to take a calculus intensive class why not just take the freshman general chemistry sequence? You school stats are stellar already and I think adcoms will understand😉
 
Ask the schools to which you intend to apply. Some will probably count analytic and organometallic. However, a B/C in inorganic chemistry at the upper division level probably wouldn't be a death sentence, especially with your chemistry grades. It's a rough class, and very few people have good grades in that. Just make sure your other grades are good, if you do have to take it...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No matter what the general rule is, always check with the school and see if you can get it in writing.

Taking Chem I/II should be a cakewalk for you at this point too, so if you take them it shouldn't be bad.
 
Thank you everyone so much for your feedback thus far. Hmm . . . I'm kind of liking the idea of Gen Chem II w/lab in place of the upper level inorganic chemistry (which I would then have to take this coming semester because I'm hoping to graduate in 3.5 years). Will /all/ medical school accept this, or do you think I should just contact each medical school separately first to see what say?

*Headdesk* I should have done this way long ago . . . bah. So much application stress already, and I don't even apply until this coming summer. I guess my interpretation was that /any/ two advanced chemistry classes would count, so I took two that interested me . . . so much for that. X_X
 
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but you have AP credit for gen chem. AP credit + plenty of upper level classes will almost certainly satisfy the med school chemistry requirement!




However, like previous posters have suggested, it's always good to double check.
 
You need a year of general inorganic chemistry with labs (8sh). Whether that be the upper level course involving calculus or the freshman levels. So no, I dont believe, and I may be wrong, that a semester of analytical and organometallic(sp?) will count as the requirement. Man if you really don't want to take a calculus intensive class why not just take the freshman general chemistry sequence? You school stats are stellar already and I think adcoms will understand😉

This will very much depend on your school. At my school you're absolutely not allowed to take gen chem after ochem and any upper level chems will satisfy the gen chem requirements. Do you have a premed advisor you could ask?
 
I would check around to make sure that the courses you want to take will be accepted by the school's you think you want to apply to. I would stop by your institution's pre-med office and make sure.