Freshman Working in a Vet Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awkequestrian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I'm kind of new to posting in these forums, so I'm sorry if this question has been discussed before. I'm currently about to complete my first year of undergrad as a pre vet major, and I'm trying to get as much experience as I can before vet school. I have this amazing opportunity this summer to work as part of the kennel staff with a mobile vet service that has a clinic where they perform surgery, so I'd get to see A LOT which would be awesome.
I had my working interview yesterday, and everyone told me I did great and that I got the job, the only thing is that I'm nervous that I'm not qualified. I felt pretty overwhelmed during the working interview, because I felt there was a lot I didn't know. I've been working at a boarding facility as a kennel technician for the past 2 years, but never in a medical setting before. I don't really know much about taking readings or all the different surgical tools.
I guess I'm just wondering what kind of experience other people had prior to working in a clinic? I keep telling myself I will learn as I go, which is the point, and that they wouldn't have offered me the job if they didn't think I could handle it. But a small part of me wonders if I should've maybe volunteered for a bit at the clinic first to see how things work before I applied for the job, or until I was further in my education.
Any advice would be appreciated!!! (Also sorry this is so long :unsure:)

Members don't see this ad.

Having been on the hiring side of a job offer, I feel comfortable telling you that they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you were qualified. As long as you didn't lie or misrepresent your abilities, it's their job to screen candidates.

Did they give you a list of minimum requirements for the job? Most employers expect that they will have to provide on the job training to new employees. In other words, they will teach you the ropes. Most jobs do have some sort of minimum expectations: the stuff they want you to know or be comfortable with before starting. If you really are concerned, take a look at that list and ask yourself whether you can do that.

My best advice would be to go into the first day rested, prepared and ready to learn. Bring a pocket-sized notebook to take notes. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most importantly, be prepared and comfortable to recognize when you understand instructions and when you need more explanation or demonstration. If a client/customer asks a question and you don't know the answer, there is nothing wrong with saying: "I'm not entirely sure. Let me look into it and make sure I have the right answer and get back to you." Most people get in trouble because they try to jump into things only half understanding what they're doing. Better to ask twice, even if you feel like you're being a pest. Most people would prefer that to not asking and making a situation worse.

Reactions: 2 users
Having been on the hiring side of a job offer, I feel comfortable telling you that they wouldn't have hired you if they didn't think you were qualified. As long as you didn't lie or misrepresent your abilities, it's their job to screen candidates.

Did they give you a list of minimum requirements for the job? Most employers expect that they will have to provide on the job training to new employees. In other words, they will teach you the ropes. Most jobs do have some sort of minimum expectations: the stuff they want you to know or be comfortable with before starting. If you really are concerned, take a look at that list and ask yourself whether you can do that.

My best advice would be to go into the first day rested, prepared and ready to learn. Bring a pocket-sized notebook to take notes. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most importantly, be prepared and comfortable to recognize when you understand instructions and when you need more explanation or demonstration. If a client/customer asks a question and you don't know the answer, there is nothing wrong with saying: "I'm not entirely sure. Let me look into it and make sure I have the right answer and get back to you." Most people get in trouble because they try to jump into things only half understanding what they're doing. Better to ask twice, even if you feel like you're being a pest. Most people would prefer that to not asking and making a situation worse.

They didn't give me any requirements, which I guess is why I'm sort of concerned, because I'm not totally sure what to expect. Originally, I was applying for the job as an internship where I'd be a vet assistant, but throughout the whole application/interview process they have been referring to the position as a kennel worker and never once as a vet assistant or internship. I guess now that it's more as a job than an internship, I'm just worried I'll be expected know more rather than being there to learn if that makes sense. I guess they're kinda the same thing lol, but I think my perception of what I'll be doing has changed a bit. They just kind of asked me about my experience with animals when I applied. The owner of the kennel that I previously worked at helped me get the job, so I think that's also adding some more pressure for me to want to do well since she went out of her way to help me get more experience.

Thank you so much for the advice! I definitely regret not taking a notepad to my working interview, since they started training me then. But from now on I will be prepared, and ask lots of questions! Also it's nice to here something from the hiring side. I try to represent myself honestly and to the best of my ability in interviews, so hopefully this will be a good fit :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also hired as a freshman to a clinic with pretty much no experience so I can empathize the feeling incompetent.

You feel overwhelmed, but the staff help you and eventually you figure it all out. If you stated your experience on your resume they get that they are training you, and as long as you show dedication/enthusiasm towards learning the job they will be happy with you.

You'll be surprised how quickly you learn the specifics of the job. :) Congrats on getting it, you are right it will be good experience!

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, the job doesn't start until the summer. Am I understanding correctly?

If so, you could always contact the person that interviewed you / hired you. Ask them if there's a job description. It should include any minimum expectations. You can also ask if there is anything you can do to help prepare in the meantime. Ask them what skills/information would be beneficial to have before you start. Chances are, they'll say they'll teach you what you need to know. But, they may have some ideas of things to read/look into that might, at the least, increase your confidence.

I was also hired as a freshman to a clinic with pretty much no experience so I can empathize the feeling incompetent.

You feel overwhelmed, but the staff help you and eventually you figure it all out. If you stated your experience on your resume they get that they are training you, and as long as you show dedication/enthusiasm towards learning the job they will be happy with you.

You'll be surprised how quickly you learn the specifics of the job. :) Congrats on getting it, you are right it will be good experience!

It makes me feel a lot better knowing other people have experienced this also! Thank you, I'm looking forward to it!

From what I understand, the job doesn't start until the summer. Am I understanding correctly?

If so, you could always contact the person that interviewed you / hired you. Ask them if there's a job description. It should include any minimum expectations. You can also ask if there is anything you can do to help prepare in the meantime. Ask them what skills/information would be beneficial to have before you start. Chances are, they'll say they'll teach you what you need to know. But, they may have some ideas of things to read/look into that might, at the least, increase your confidence.

Yes, I'll be starting this summer. Asking for ways I can prepare is a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. I had planned to do some preparing on my own, but even better if they could give me some recommendations as to where to start. Thanks again!

You will learn everything on the job. I was an animal care tech in a laboratory animal setting and even with my vet experience, there was a major learning curve for me when I started as a kennel assistant.

I'll be a freshman in the fall and I'll be working with a traveling equine vet this summer assisting and learning. He even told me there would be an exponential learning curve. I have the opportunity to go with him next weekend to see what I will be doing. He said he will mentor me for the next few summers! This past year I worked in a Veterinary hospital training to be a Veterinary Assistant. The vet knew I was planning on being a pre-vet so she let me help restrain animals and position them during several surgeries. I knew nothing going in but after 300 hours I feel pretty good about that environment. Now moving to equines will be a whole new ball game!

Last edited:
I'll be a freshman in the fall and I'll be working with a traveling equine vet this summer assisting and learning. He even told me there would be an exponential learning curve. I have the opportunity to go with him next weekend to see what I will be doing. He said he will mentor me for the next few summers! This past year I worked in a Veterinary hospital training to be a Veterinary Assistant. The vet know I was planning on being a pre-vet so she let me help restrain animals and position them during several surgeries. I know nothing going in but after 300 hours I feel pretty go about that environment. Now moving to equines will be a whole new ball game!

That's so awesome! The clinic I am working at this summer knows I'm pre-vet too, so I'm hoping they let me do some of that stuff as well. Also that's a good way of putting it with the learning curve, I guess I just panicked that there was so much I didn't know but that's the point - I'm going there to learn!
Also that's so cool you get to work with an equine vet, congrats and have fun! :)

You will learn everything on the job. I was an animal care tech in a laboratory animal setting and even with my vet experience, there was a major learning curve for me when I started as a kennel assistant.
Thanks for the input! I guess I just have to be patient, and everything will come in time :)

Hi Everyone!
I'm kind of new to posting in these forums, so I'm sorry if this question has been discussed before. I'm currently about to complete my first year of undergrad as a pre vet major, and I'm trying to get as much experience as I can before vet school. I have this amazing opportunity this summer to work as part of the kennel staff with a mobile vet service that has a clinic where they perform surgery, so I'd get to see A LOT which would be awesome.
I had my working interview yesterday, and everyone told me I did great and that I got the job, the only thing is that I'm nervous that I'm not qualified. I felt pretty overwhelmed during the working interview, because I felt there was a lot I didn't know. I've been working at a boarding facility as a kennel technician for the past 2 years, but never in a medical setting before. I don't really know much about taking readings or all the different surgical tools.
I guess I'm just wondering what kind of experience other people had prior to working in a clinic? I keep telling myself I will learn as I go, which is the point, and that they wouldn't have offered me the job if they didn't think I could handle it. But a small part of me wonders if I should've maybe volunteered for a bit at the clinic first to see how things work before I applied for the job, or until I was further in my education.
Any advice would be appreciated!!! (Also sorry this is so long :unsure:)

So much of veterinary work is learning as you go - both as a new assistant and as a new veterinarian! I think if you have a pleasant attitude and desire to learn, you'll do just fine.

Reactions: 2 users