freshman year rebound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parthenon89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've seen a lot of posts about people having crappy freshman year grades due to whatever reason (excessive partying, adjusting to college life, etc.) and then the same people say they came back with 4.0s their sophmore year and really buckled down.

My question is this, how the hell exactly did u guys do so well afterwards?

Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

i've seen a lot of posts about people having crappy freshman year grades due to whatever reason (excessive partying, adjusting to college life, etc.) and then the same people say they came back with 4.0s their sophmore year and really buckled down.

My question is this, how the hell exactly did u guys do so well afterwards?

Thanks.:)

I think the reason why I did well after my freshman year, and why I work so hard now, is not in spite of my freshman year, but because of it. I don't know if I would have kicked my *** so hard (gotten involved in so much research and EC's) if I didn't feel like I had a huge mountain to overcome in the application process (a very low freshman year GPA).

I know some people, from the very beginning, start out and do fantastic. That is great for them, but I didn't...and I'll still be starting medical school at UConn this fall. It's all about dedication.

I also think -- you don't have to be insanely brilliant to get into medical school. I had around 1100 on my SAT (I was never a genius!) and I ended up with a decent GPA and a good MCAT, and 4 acceptances under my belt.

I'm not even sure how I managed to pull my GPA up. Its almost like I just hit my stride and really focused. This year (junior year) has been the roughest year of my life; I've been on credit overload both semesters and working two jobs, and my GPA has never been higher. While once medical school seemed like an impossible dream its starting to become possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the reason why I did well after my freshman year, and why I work so hard now, is not in spite of my freshman year, but because of it. I don't know if I would have kicked my *** so hard (gotten involved in so much research and EC's) if I didn't feel like I had a huge mountain to overcome in the application process (a very low freshman year GPA).

I know some people, from the very beginning, start out and do fantastic. That is great for them, but I didn't...and I'll still be starting medical school at UConn this fall. It's all about dedication.

I also think -- you don't have to be insanely brilliant to get into medical school. I had around 1100 on my SAT (I was never a genius!) and I ended up with a decent GPA and a good MCAT, and 4 acceptances under my belt.

thanks alot man, and BTW, i saw your post on the 1.89, man I wanna be screaming about the same thing as you in 3 years, thanks alot.

As crazy as it may sound.. pledging helped me. We had 2 hours of mandatory study hall every day. Think about if you actually sat down and studied for two hours every day, you would do great. Even more, we weren't allowed to surf on the internet, talk, or anything like that.. so we actually got work done. After that I just maintained that work ethic and things ended up well.