Freshmen year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riddler

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm relatively new to these forums and have a question about allopathic medicine. I'm an freshman at a prestigious university (top 15) and am confused as to what to do between the first and second semester gap. Is it important/vital that I do something productive between these semesters? I have a few options: take a couple courses at my university (this is what I want to avoid, but I still want to show that I'm interested in other things besides just medicine and show that I've been productive during my time off as well--can I do this without taking these courses during this term?), possibly shadow some doctors at a local hospital in my home town, and volunteer at medical facilities. What would be the best/wisest choice?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

do whatever you like. doing something that demonstrates an interest in helping others or learning about your desired career would be wise, though

Hey, so I'm relatively new to these forums and have a question about allopathic medicine. I'm an freshman at a prestigious university (top 15) and am confused as to what to do between the first and second semester gap. Is it important/vital that I do something productive between these semesters? I have a few options: take a couple courses at my university (this is what I want to avoid, but I still want to show that I'm interested in other things besides just medicine and show that I've been productive during my time off as well--can I do this without taking these courses during this term?), possibly shadow some doctors at a local hospital in my home town, and volunteer at medical facilities. What would be the best/wisest choice?

Thank you in advance!

you could.. do that..
or.. you could sit on your ass and get fat hahaha.. =D

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you on semesters? If you are talking about the roughly month break in December-January, if you are going to do anything I suggest pursuing something fun. From my experience, I do not know many people that try to cram a lot in during this time frame. You are definitely motivated but I would suggest pacing yourself.

Personally, I never did any typical pre-med activity during this timeframe. However, I did some of the fun stuff that I later put as some of my ECs (rock-climbing, biking, hunting, etc.) You should strive to show adcoms you had a life in undergrad outside of getting ready for med-school, and this is a great time to do that.

If you really felt compelled do something more (I am definitely not saying it is a bad thing) I would probably have tried to get some more shadowing hours in during this time if I could do it all over again.

You could do a lot volunteering at a hospital or something. If you do that like everyday, you could accumulate a lot of hours in just that month. I probably wouldn't suggest doing anything school-related. They give you that break for a reason. You don't want to overwhelm yourself so early on. You should do something fun, like the previous posters mentioned.

I would suggest doing NOTHING between first and second semester. Volunteering during winter breaks is weak sauce, I think, unless you plan to continue volunteering a lot during the year. Go eat some leftover Christmas cookies and have some eggnog. That will serve you much better than doing anything else will.

Also, does anyone else notice that people on SDN always have to tell you what tier their university is, even if it's completely irrelevant to the post? Lol. ;)

thanks for all of your responses! I think I will take a break from classes and stay home. I'll probably end up shadowing and/or volunteering since I have so much down time, but I'll also get involved in tennis, chess, and other more fun activities. Thanks once again for all of the helpful advice! If there's anymore, surely post because I'll keep checking :)

Dont forget polo! :D OP you are a freshmen in college. College is your time to let loose as well as do well academically. Hangout with your highschool buddies, drink some beer, and talk about your first semester away from home! You only get to be a freshmen in college once. I wish I could relive that winter break.

What? Other people have a month off between first and second semester? I only have like two weeks! I'm not on the quarter system either.

What? Other people have a month off between first and second semester? I only have like two weeks! I'm not on the quarter system either.

I had more than a month back in the day. I think we usually got off around Dec 10th..and classes started Jan 20th ish.

I think winter break is a great time to shadow doctors. You can follow them on a regular basis for the entire day, not just a couple of hours here and there. It gives you a much better feel for what their job is like because you're not just coming in for the cool surgeries. You get to see both the interesting and the not-so-glamorous aspects of being a doctor.

Also, does anyone else notice that people on SDN always have to tell you what tier their university is, even if it's completely irrelevant to the post? Lol. ;)

Yes.

I'm not necessarily saying you should do anything but maybe you should do a little research on what's out there on volunteer opportunities including research. Maybe also just figure out what you're going to do for next year.