freshmen year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avinash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so freshmen year is over and i ended up with a 3.4 GPA, so what do you guys think? Am i doing ok? I finished the gen chem and gen bio pre reqs. I also keep hearing that the upper divison classes are easier than the freshmen year classes, is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 was your overall, and isn't bad; what was your science GPA?

Difficulty of classes depends largely on the professor and university. I've had some upper level courses that were cakewalks, and some that...weren't. Science-wise, upper-levels were easier because they focused on a narrower range of topics instead of trying to cover everything like gen chem or gen bio.

shiraz84 said:
3.4 was your overall, and isn't bad; what was your science GPA?

Difficulty of classes depends largely on the professor and university. I've had some upper level courses that were cakewalks, and some that...weren't. Science-wise, upper-levels were easier because they focused on a narrower range of topics instead of trying to cover everything like gen chem or gen bio.

my science gpa is a 3.37, its mainly low beacause of gen bio, i got B's all three terms, should i retake it and get A's?

Members don't see this ad :)
avinash said:
my science gpa is a 3.37, its mainly low beacause of gen bio, i got B's all three terms, should i retake it and get A's?

You have a while to go before you have to apply, so I wouldn't retake them immediately. If you get As in the other prereqs, you will show an upward trend, which I've heard that adcoms love, so you'll probably be OK. Good luck.

Med schools understand that your freshman year of college can be kind of rough. Your GPA is fine, just make sure that you show improvement in your science grades. They like to see that you identified your problem, found a solution, and made it work. Thats the kind of work ethic needed in med school.

shiraz84 said:

I've been told that upper-divs are more enjoyable for that reason, but that the material itself is harder because its more in-depth. So the classes may be challenging, but you'd probably feel more motivated to learn the stuff if you're interested.