Friday night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like quotes.....Name your favorite 2 quotes.. Mine are:

1) Walk softly but carry a big stick- and you will go far..-Teddy Roosevelt
(has a literal and a figurative translation)

2) I cried when I had no shoes until I saw the man who had no feet.. -Unknown. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Time is a created thing. To say "I don't have time" is like saying "I don't want to..."
~Lao Tzu~

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone."
~Epictetus~

"...is it your reputation that's bothering you? But look at how soon we're all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of those applauding hands. The people who praise us; how capricious they are, how arbitrary. And the tiny region it takes place. The whole earth is a point in space - and most of it uninhabited."
~Marcus Aurelius~

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
~Abraham Lincoln~

EDIT: I apparently can't read, oh well, i like all of them

Time is a created thing. To say "I don't have time" is like saying "I don't want to..."
~Lao Tzu~

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone."
~Epictetus~

"...is it your reputation that's bothering you? But look at how soon we're all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of those applauding hands. The people who praise us; how capricious they are, how arbitrary. And the tiny region it takes place. The whole earth is a point in space - and most of it uninhabited."
~Marcus Aurelius~

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
~Abraham Lincoln~

EDIT: I apparently can't read, oh well, i like all of them

Yes, Ive heard the Lincoln quote before.. The superficial will say he freed the slaves. But he is profound because of MUCH more then that.. Plus he has MANY good quotes..The guy is timeless...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Feelin' political. These are two of my many favorites.

"It is the obligation of all honorable men and women to see that in the future competition of the races the survival of the fittest shall mean the triumph of the good, the beautiful, and the true: that we may be able to preserve for future civilization all that is really fine and noble and strong, and not continue to put a premium on greed and imprudence and cruelty."
-W.E.B. DuBois

"Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed."
- Herman Melville

Plus, bonus meta-quote:

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Dorothy L. Sayers

I like quotes.....Name your favorite 2 quotes.. Mine are:

1) Walk softly but carry a big stick- and you will go far..-Teddy Roosevelt
(has a literal and a figurative translation)

2) I cried when I had no shoes until I saw the man who had no feet.. -Unknown. :)

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the Roosevelt quotation is "Speak softly...", and that the literal meaning of the phrase is not significant since it's a damn proverb, which are never literal.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the Roosevelt quotation is "Speak softly...", and that the literal meaning of the phrase is not significant since it's a damn proverb, which are never literal.

First: Supposedly its West African proverb where Roosevelt changed the word speak to walk in 1901...But he did not distract form the sayings meaning. Evidence of Roosevelts prolific reading..

It had to do with [Roosevelts corollary of the Monroe Doctrine] . ( having to do with protecting smaller countries)

The literal translation by Roosevelts corollary is: Talk politely and diplomatically, use intelligent forethought FAR in advance o of any crisis (military)

Figuratively: It could mean take even, calculated sequencial, totally aware steps and having a great weapon available only if you have to avoid a disaster down the line..

Reference-Wilkipedia and Askville.Amazon.com

Probably my favorite saying..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SpeakSoftlyEdit.jpg

At the risk of derailing the thread and sounding like a jackass, I'm afraid you are drastically misusing the meaning of the word "literal", and your two interpretations sound like rephrasings of the same sentiment. But I don't really care so why don't we leave it at that?

A grace to pray for--that our self interest, which is inescapable, shall never cripple our sense of humor, that fully conscious self-scrutiny which alone can save us.

Pray that in your loneliness you find something to live for--great enough to die for.

Dag Hammarskjold (markings)

How can we ever be the sold short or the cheated, we who for every service have long ago been overpaid?

Meister Eckhart

No-one have a favourite quote that is just funny?

Sticking with political ones then- "the problem with political jokes is that they get elected"

My granddad said, "Bobby, there ain't but three kinds of people in this world: those that can count and those that can't."

I'll have to paraphrase this one, because I forget who and how it was said:

Democracy doesn't pick the best leaders, just the ones we most deserve.

My favorite:

"Humiliation is only humiliation if you let yourself suffer." - Chuck Palahniuk, I think from Choke

It takes away the power from others and gives it to you for deciding how you feel. I like that.

"If you put the goverment in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."
-Milton Friedman

"Only goverment can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good ink and make the combination worthless."
-Milton Friedman

runner-up:
"The politicians say we can't afford a tax cut, maybe we can't afford politicians."
-Steve Forbes

One I think of whenever I read a drug study:

There are three kinds of falsehoods: lies, damn lies, and statistics.

"Humiliation is only humiliation if you let yourself suffer." - Chuck Palahniuk, I think from Choke

Words of wisdom for every M3 to be sure.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.
-- Churchill

When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.
-- Dr. Martin Luther King

Work hard: millions on welfare are depending on you.

Yes, Ive heard the Lincoln quote before.. The superficial will say he freed the slaves. But he is profound because of MUCH more then that.. Plus he has MANY good quotes..The guy is timeless...:thumbup:

great quotes like:

when asked "Why not let the South go in peace?"
Lincoln replied: "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?"

and

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

"I am not in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office."

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery"

"I am a little uneasy about the abolishment of slavery in this District (of Columbia)."

"What I would most desire would be the separation of the white and black races."

"Negro equality, Fudge!! How long in the Government of a God great enough to make and maintain this Universe, shall there continue to be knaves to vend and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagoguism as this?"

"The [Emancipation] proclamation has no constitutional or legal
justification except as a war measure."

<sarcasm> yeah, Lincoln was SOOOO great and altruistic..... </sarcasm>

great quotes like:

when asked "Why not let the South go in peace?"
Lincoln replied: "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?"

and

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

"I am not in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office."

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery"

"I am a little uneasy about the abolishment of slavery in this District (of Columbia)."

"What I would most desire would be the separation of the white and black races."

"Negro equality, Fudge!! How long in the Government of a God great enough to make and maintain this Universe, shall there continue to be knaves to vend and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagoguism as this?"

"The [Emancipation] proclamation has no constitutional or legal
justification except as a war measure."

<sarcasm> yeah, Lincoln was SOOOO great and altruistic..... </sarcasm>

All Ill say is:

That's heavy and you have great insight into Lincoln philosophy unlike many..
:thumbup:

"The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die."
Steve Prefontaine