Friedels Craft Acylation vs Alkylation : Synthesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangeRover89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I know which one to pick? I get that the akylation has rearrangements, so if I need to install one that has a structure that could undergo rearrangement and change the product then I should choose the acylation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know the ketone is on the acylation... But for multi-step synthesis questions, how would you know to use acylation vs alkylation? Alkylation has rearrangements

if the carbon chain on the final product contains 3 or more carbons, use acylation. It if has 1 or 2 carbons, you use alkylation

Yes, I know the ketone is on the acylation... But for multi-step synthesis questions, how would you know to use acylation vs alkylation? Alkylation has rearrangements

If you caught what the guy above me said great,

If not

consider this, when doing a synthesis

You need to add certain groups and every synthesis of a benzene ring will have regioselection, idk why you said it would not, the first thing you add is the one that does not have regioselection Put it whereever you want, if whatever you put on has lone pairs on it, then everything else that adds to it will need to be ortho/para.

If you need to add an R group, Use Rcl/alcl3 That R gets added. That is Alkylation.

If you need to add a Carbonyl group, use R-(cl-)C=O . Looks weird but thats acylation. It will simply add the carbonyl, and CL will leave.

That is all there is too it. You use one to add a R chain, the other to add a carbonyl. If you have anymore questions HMU Bruh

Oh yeah and the exception to that lone pair trick for Othro/para Is R groups, all R groups are ortho/Para even though they never have Lone pairs. notice however this additional exception and if you catch this you'll identify every META and ORTHO/PARA Aco groups, you know the ones with a (-) on one of the oxygens, they are ORTHO/PARA. and a carbonyl with a Primary N on it are Ortho Para, EVERYTHING else can use the Lone pair Trick.

If something has no lone pairs, its deactivating and meta directing.

So a carbon bonded to a benzene and triple bonded to a N will be META, because it has no lone pairs. Got me?

Reactions: 1 user