Friend wants to become a psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine is in his early 40s, with some college education. He has a good job and doesn't want to leave it before graduate school since he has a kid to support and a mortgage to pay. His opportunities for finishing a psychology undergraduate degree at a real brick and mortar institution are small, but possible, especially if he can complete his prereqs through online and distance education.

He wants to eventually be licensed to counsel. He is still entertaining notions of a PsyD but would more likely be headed toward an MA.

I know psychology is a very competitive field and so does he. I told him I'd try to get some input from yall as to whether he would even have a shot at getting into a master's program if he did well in an undergrad psych program that wasn't necessarily a big school, and if an online degree would even be worth it.

So in summary, his questions:
1. Can you get into an MA program with an online psychology degree? And how likely would it be?
2. How hard would it be to get into an MA program as a non-traditional applicant from a small lesser-known school?
3. Should he try for a PsyD instead of a master's since he wants to be a psychotherapist? And if so, how does that change the answers to questions 1 and 2.

Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Why psych? If he main interest is counseling, why not a MSW after the bachelors, or possibly an MFT. Alot less competitive and troublesome than a Psy.D or even a MA in clinical. MAs is clinical will have a research component (doesn't sound like he's not into that) and are often stepping stones to doctoral programs. You can certainly do a terminal masters in clinical and get licensed afterwards, but the MSW is less competitive and will require less monetary and time sacrifice for the most part. Seeing as he is a working adult and needs to pay the bills.

Psych because he wants to be a psychotherapist and because he wants to be as independent as possible. It is my understanding that although MFTs and MSWs can and do have solo therapy practices they can be hard to maintain due to the relatively low reiumbursements. I was under the impression that with an MA in clinical psychology it is much more tenable, although you still make less than a PsyD.

I am myself headed for psychiatry so I am only tangentially aware of the practical issues of practicing psychology/counseling/psychotherapy on the non-MD side of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing purely clinical work with masters in clinical will not be any more lucrative than an MSW or MFT for the most part.

Psych because he wants to be a psychotherapist and because he wants to be as independent as possible. It is my understanding that although MFTs and MSWs can and do have solo therapy practices they can be hard to maintain due to the relatively low reiumbursements. I was under the impression that with an MA in clinical psychology it is much more tenable, although you still make less than a PsyD.

I am myself headed for psychiatry so I am only tangentially aware of the practical issues of practicing psychology/counseling/psychotherapy on the non-MD side of things.

Actually, many insurance companies are more likely to reimburse, because the MSW's (I have no idea about MFTs) cost a bit less. In addition, it all depends on skill and dependability of the person in question- there are MSWs who make more than Ph.D's, and Ph. D's that make more than MSWs. It depends on location and ability, for the most part. He can totally be independent.

Also, MANY MSW programs have evening/weekend classes for people like your friend who need to stay in their job until they graduate. An online degree in psych is generally not considered to be nearly of the same quality, though the size of the school is not generally a concern unless it's significantly sub-par/not accredited.

I am admittedly biased against online learning, but I think your friend would get more from a traditional classroom setting than from sitting behind his computer. Many programs offer night/weekends for non-trad. students and/or those that have other commitments but still want to attain graduate training.

I am a strong supporter of the MSW (and LCSW as a licensure) because I think they can offer a bit more flexibility in the job market if the student can learn both the clinical and administrative side of SW.....so that may be something worth checking out. MHCs and MFTs are also out there, and depending on what kind of work he wants to do, those may be applicable too.

his ideal would be real classroom BA followed by a PsyD. Life can just get in the way when you have the obligations he does.

I will be sure to relay this thread to him for sure though.

First and foremost... MFTs and LCSWs practice psychotherapy.

Secondly... perhaps he should look into a MA in clinical psych/MFT program. This is what I'm currently pursuing at Pepperdine and I know that Argosy (at multiple locations) offers this as well. I chose it because I felt like it gave me the most future opportunities. I plan on getting my MFT license as well as eventually go on to pursue a Psy.D in clinical psych.

Thirdly... I would not recommend an online psychology degree because MA programs are competetive and people in the psych field general shun online "diploma mill" degrees. A small, reputable and regionally accredited school is fine ;)

Lastly... PLENTY of job opportunities are opening up for MFTs due to recent laws being passed in various states. There are a lot of governmental agencies that are now employing MFTs which means job security and benefits. Also, you have just as much chance at having a successful private practice as an MFT as you do if you're a Psy.D or Ph.D. You need to know HOW to market yourself and get clients. Anyone who can do this successful will have a successful practice regardless of their degree or licensure.

Last edited: