"Friendly" reminder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a polite way to remind faculty to turn in our LOR? Ours are due in a little less than two weeks, and I have asked a faculty member from an away rotation for a letter that still hasn't been submitted. How do I remind him without sounding pushy?

Members don't see this ad.

Harrie said:
Any suggestions on a polite way to remind faculty to turn in our LOR? Ours are due in a little less than two weeks, and I have asked a faculty member from an away rotation for a letter that still hasn't been submitted. How do I remind him without sounding pushy?

This question was recently posited in another thread. Several answers were given, one answer seemed especially useful: send a "Thank You" e-mail -- followed by a nice card(snail mail). You will appear grateful, without being a nag!

Hope this helps. Good luck! :thumbup:

I have the same problem with 2 of my letter writers. I've already sent the thank you note almost 2 months ago. What next?

Keep sending thank you cards. The effect becomes less subtle with each new card.

Good frickin' luck. LORs are a biotch.

--Funkless

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed. I've requested 5 LOR's and NONE of them have been turned in yet!!! I've already called and e-mailed people. I guess I'll try the thank you cards. :mad:

There goes the theory that you'll be "safe" if you ask for a couple of extra LOR's. :thumbdown:

Thank you card with a subtle "if you need any more information from me, please do not hesitate to contact me." may work

OR shift the blame -

"I don't mean to be a nag/pain but my school registrar/dean's secretary/ERAS person told me I HAD to get my letters in by ____ date. Is there anything I can do to help you with the letter?"

send thank you/reminder emails weekly. While your letter writers are at fault for not being prompt, it is your responsibility to follow up on the letters.

also, get in touch with their secretaries. this may help (though not always)....

Same problem ...

I wrote and said that "Dr. ______, unfortunately, the programs won't even look at my application until I get that third letter in, and I'm sitting at 2 right now. Because this field is competitive and interviews are rolling, I really need your help .." ... that seemed to have the most impact after 3 previous e-mails and 2 phone calls.

It's hard - they are busy - but they did make the commitment. Just be polite ... it'll get done.

Simul

kidnap their children and send them a pinky with your second thank you card.

odds are you'll get the best, fastest LOR ever received.

:laugh:

Is it nessesary to hand write a thank you note to your letter writers? Or is a simple e-mail ok?