Friendship on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceisbeauty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seen some threads where posters mention each other, talk about hanging out etc. With respect to anonymity though, who knows who in person here?
I recently met Ilovecows in person. We've become really good friends.
:)
Also how did you find SDN: search engine, a friend told you about it, etc?

Curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I came across the SDN when I began researching psych grad schools back around Christmas. After tons of google searches and info. gathering, SDN popped up. I trolled for a while and finally signed up to start getting in on the action :D.

JockNerd and I went to undergrad together and hang out whenever we're in the same city again. He helps me pick out couches in his spare time.

I don't really remember how I found SDN, but I know it was in the middle of the "oh my god all I've had is rejections so far" period of my application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend who was applying to med school told me there was a psych forum here. That was last May I think. Now I check it almost daily :D

I found it after searching for info about schools on Google. I've never met anybody on here (then again I haven't been here too long), but I check the site daily.

I joined just a few days ago so I have not met anyone from here, but I found this place by google.

I haven't met anyone from SDN. However, I'm going to be in the same fall cohort with someone from here, & I look forward to meeting them in person.

I found out about "psych application boards" by overhearing another interviewee talk about it during one of my interview weekends. When I got home, I did a search & found SDN. I've told lots of people about it since! (I wish I had known about it during the planning & application process!)

I found SDN because I'm a nontrad who was looking to get into a PsyD program. I was not a psych undergrad, and therefore, had no fellow students, classes, professors, or advisors to guide me. I rolled the dice on google and here it was!

There are a couple people in the town I live, but they post mainly in the Doctor's Forum, so I am quite afraid to meet them in person. :)

I found SDN after going on an interview. One of the other applicants told me about it and I quizzed her on which schools had sent out invites, etc. So technically I guess I do know one other person on SDN, although I don't see her posting anymore so perhaps she's moved on. Me, I'm in love with SDN now so I think I'll stick around.

I was lucky that I started posting here though because that other applicant that turned me onto SDN let me know when she was turning down the offer to the school we interviewed for. I was the first alternate so it was nice to know I would be getting an offer before it actually came. PLUS I don't have anyone else to talk to right now about clinical psych and to be quite honest, I was starving for it!

I believe I originally found SDN while searching for Harvard clinical psychology program on Google. I recall it pulled up a thread from SDN, and here I am. Haven't been the same since.

I don't know anyone on here personally, but that may change after interviews this coming spring.

I like the site. I gives me a sense of community and a place to discuss issues that many of my friends could care less about.

Side note - I could believe that T4C is a computer program. :) In October of this year, if T4C keeps posting at this rate, he will have averaged 6.8 posts per day since his "creation" on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard about it at my YU interview... one of the girls I was waiting with told me that's how she knows about interview dates and well, I've been hooked ever since :)

But I'm too quiet to get to know anyone too well... *sad face* haha!

I do know someone who lurks here but I don't think this friend has ever posted (have you?). But we knew each other before my SDN visit.

I found SDN after my last grad school interview in the spring of 2007. I had been talking to some other interviewees during the day and they mentioned something about checking online to see who-got-in-where. I didn't even know such sites existed! I think I googled and found it and have been a regular (though sporadic now that I'm in grad school) visitor/poster ever since.

I know at least two people on here personally (having met them before knowing that SDN exists). One of them told me about SDN and now I'm an addict! There are also two people I have gotten to know relatively well through SDN because of being in the same geographical location and/or applying/getting into the same school(s) - moreso than the standard "oh I got in their too!" post/PM. I suppose it's possible that I know other people on here and I'm just not aware of it (ie: past/current classmates may have an account here so I know them personally, I just don't know that they are on here). Every now and then I'll come across a post and I'll think "I wonder if that is ______ " :)

I wonder how many people here have met on interviews and not even know.

I saw T4C my interview weekend but I was too shy to say hi :laugh:

:D

I was wondering if anyone saw me....I wasn't interviewing this year, but I was around. You are coming down this fall, no? I have an annual BBQ I throw before orientation for my friends and incoming people I've met along the way and/or that get invited through the grapevine.....though I've gone from a house to a condo, so I need to figure out if I can host something at my pool, etc.

How did you know it was him, does he wear a T-shirt that says "T4C" on it? :laugh: 'cause that would make my day

There aren't that many men in the program, and I'm pretty awesome...so people know me. :D

Plus introducing yourself as T4C instead of using your given name is a pretty big give away :p

Though some have speculated that perhaps T4C is just an elaborate computer program running this whole thing. Perhaps T4C is a robot and "Therapist4Chnge" really is his (its?) name....or a super long acronym :laugh:

:D

I was wondering if anyone saw me....I wasn't interviewing this year, but I was around. You are coming down this fall, no? I have an annual BBQ I throw before orientation for my friends and incoming people I've met along the way and/or that get invited through the grapevine.....though I've gone from a house to a condo, so I need to figure out if I can host something at my pool, etc.

sounds like fun!
rayneedeigh i recognized him from some old pic he has on here somewhere about