From 509 to 511 Mcat. How bad is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meepseep

Reaction score
Hello people of SDN.
I got my mcat results back in July. I was expecting a higher score based on my practice exams but unfortunately got a 511. How detrimental is it that my score went from a 509(128/127/128/126) to a 511 (128/127/128/128)?

I have leadership experience, unique volunteer and clinical experience, and LOTS of research with a first author manuscript that my lab is sending out for publication in a few weeks. I've really made an effort to be well-rounded. I'm a CA applicant, white, low SES, and already sent out my application and finished all my secondaries (to schools that are either lower or match my 511 mcat as their median). No interview invites yet. I know it's after the fact but I'd like to know what an ADCOM's general view of this score is.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While not as big of an improvement as you wanted, your overall score did go up and you didn’t drop in any section. I wouldn’t recommend taking it again if you were thinking about that.

Overall, will this hurt you? Ehh, I doubt it is “detrimental”. You still have a shot at many schools and all DO if the rest of your app checks out

Reactions: 1 users
You’ve already applied so it is what it is. You scores are average for acceptees, so you’re not screwed. You’re just going to have to bunker down and see how the crap shoot goes. Given the new score, make sure you’ve applied to schools that are forgiving on the numbers while also being OOS friendly. Make sure you rock all of your interviews.

As Gonnif says. Be prepared to be rejected and make sure you utilize this next year. Be willing to apply DO next cycle. Being a CA resident is tough!

Thanks :) Which schools would you say are forgiving on the numbers? I applied to Tulane, Albany, Drexel, Dartmouth, George Washington, All the UCs and CA schools (although I know most of them are a reach), Loyola, Tufts, all the Arizona schools, U Vermont.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took CASPer on 8/8 and it's gonna take a whole month for those scores to come out, delaying my application to a lot of these schools...

Roughly half of all MDs that will get an acceptance will have an MCAT worse than you. If you don’t get an acceptance, it’s not because of your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello people of SDN.
I got my mcat results back in July. I was expecting a higher score based on my practice exams but unfortunately got a 511. How detrimental is it that my score went from a 509(128/127/128/126) to a 511 (128/127/128/128)?

Yours is a case where I would average the two and feel quite confident that a 510 is your "true" score. Considering 510 is the average for accepted applicants, it should not be detrimental in the slightest.

Reactions: 1 user
Not detrimental at all

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk