forgot to disclaim a fake name for a patient in my PS -- how bad is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatface01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
silly story time: i used a random name for a patient that I mention in my personal statement as an important story, but forgot to put it in quotes, (disclaimer) it, or otherwise make it obvious that it's generic. it's a somewhat uncommon name from their native ethnicity (like, "Luigi" or "Boris"-esque). within my PS the details go as far as the hospital I was working in (also listed in my w/a), that first name, and what brought them in (nothing rare, no diagnosis). would this be seen as a phi red flag with my app? i'm really kicking myself over this and am worrying about the worst-case scenarios because that hospital certainly has had patients of that name before. i don't think there's enough identifying details and others who read it didn't mention anything about it, but...

is this a cause for concern and if so is there anything I should try and do about it? I submitted already so it's too late to edit :(

Members don't see this ad.

There was recently another thread about this:

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, we don’t even think about this. Please don’t stress about it!

Reactions: 1 user