From Classroom to Clinicals :confused:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. How much of the neuroanatomy & neurophysiology are actually used in he clinical practice of neurosurgery? I have enjoyed the time I have spent with a neurosurgeon. the operations are exciting & interesting, but I find is so boring to memorize every single tract and their location in the mesencephalon.

Should I take my boredom with memorizing the neuro anat. & phy, as a sign from God that I may not really be that interested in Neurosurg???

Thanks………bob

Members don't see this ad.

well word on the street is that God hates neurosurgeons...

I'm finishing an elective in neurosurgery, and from what I've seen so far, we've never had to discuss the localisation of ''non-major'' tracts (vestibulospinal, reticulospinal, etc). I'm confident the residents and attendings are excellent in neuroanatomy, but I haven't seen a single case where those kind of details were deemed relevant for clinical management. Sure, you may get pimped in the OR on some obscure cranial nerve nucleus from time to time, and you'll need to know all that for residency exams, but does it really matter in the end for clinical neurosurgery ? I'm tempted to say no, although my experience is a limited one.

Maybe it's more useful in neurology ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Blake,
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I guess I will just have to do a rotation and see if I enjoy it or not. By that time I will have forget all that I have learned so maybe on my next go around (memorizing it again) I will like it better…

bob

Blake,
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I guess I will just have to do a rotation and see if I enjoy it or not. By that time I will have forget all that I have learned so maybe on my next go around (memorizing it again) I will like it better…

bob
Definitely. You could also shadow more and spend more time with residents, especially. It's easier to ask them those kind of questions as they're more likely to give you detailed answers.