This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.cooper.42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I also made the switch from clinical psychology over to medicine. I had started in a doctoral program just like you, but ended up stopping with my Master's degree once I actually figured out what I wanted to do with my life! Your background in mental health will be very valuable on your application, especially the PhD. Your clinical training obviously is a help too, but I'd still shoot to get some solid shadowing experiences (aim for ~50 hours) and clinical/non-clinical volunteering. You'll want to show that you know what you're getting into with medicine and that you're altruistic. Adcoms also love military experience, so that'll be a plus too.

The 6 month timeframe may work well for you, especially since working full time will occupy a lot of your hours during the week. The catch is that 6 months might be long enough that you'll start forgetting things you learned at the beginning. There are several studying schedules in the MCAT forum that might be helpful too.

Your undergrad GPA is a little low, but not terrible by any means. Grad GPA is good, but adcoms usually don't put much weight on that as most grad programs tend to inflate GPA's. I'm guessing you did all the pre-reqs already?

Happy to answer any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user