Best postbacc program for licensed clinical psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightside100

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a 34-year-old licensed clinical psychologist (PsyD) who has decided to go to med school with the eventual hope of pursuing psychiatry. I don't have any science prereqs nor have I taken the MCAT. I've decided for various reasons that a formal/structured postbacc is the best option for me. Small class size and close-knit community, lots of support and advising services, and a high degree of linkage opportunities are all very important factors for me. I've narrowed my search to Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps, Johns Hopkins, and Tufts. Given my criteria, are there any programs that you would add or eliminate?

Thanks so much in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Have you done physician shadowing? If not I would suggest that you start off with this first. It is also one of the requirements along with non-clinical and clinical volunteering.

2. If that is your picture, you should remove it to avoid being identified.

3. You don't need a structured post-bacc program. You can go to any college or university to take the required courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1. Have you done physician shadowing? If not I would suggest that you start off with this first. It is also one of the requirements along with non-clinical and clinical volunteering.

2. If that is your picture, you should remove it to avoid being identified.

3. You don't need a structured post-bacc program. You can go to any college or university to take the required courses.
basically exactly what this post says.... minus- I think as a career changer it would have to have a structured post-bacc program, in addition I know UVM has a post-bac program that guarantees an interview if you need a certain GPA requirement.

What is your undergrad GPA? grad GPA?

Why now? what changed that now you are unhappy with being a clinical psychologist and wish to pursue being a psychiatrist? Have you shadowed any physicians?