From dermboard, about dermboard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermboard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We have gone ahead and credited Dermmatch for the most recent match information, please see: http://www.dermboard.net/docs/2008-2009.htm
Dermmatch has done a spectacular job and deserves a lot of kudos for the hard work in compiling the matchlist this year, especially considering the in-service coming up. Please continue to forward all matchlist information to Dermmatch and we will do the same. If there is interest, we will resume compiling and cross-referencing the matchlist, as LongDong had asked us to do originally.

Also, Dermmatch has begun to compile a great new and updated dermguide, please see the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590380

We have decided to make this the primary home of the dermboard. It really doesn't make sense to keep the old dermboard going, when obviously everyone is here and the moderator is great. Therefore, we have closed the 2009-2010 forum on yuku and are redirecting traffic here. Will also direct external dermboard links to this forum. The yuku forum will remain open for viewership, as well as its links, through 2018.

It is wonderful to see the spirit of the original ezboard that Erin started in 2001 live on in this forum.

Good luck to everyone who has just matched and everyone else looking to do the same in the next few years! Remember - be nice :)

best wishes,
Dermboard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
be amongst the first to say - thanks for the old ezboard. it gets lots of naysayers who actually spent plenty of time trolling it and posting to it anonymously.

the scut there on what applying was like really saved my life back then, and got me details on that helped me land my top program. you guys were years and years ahead of the curve on providing that kind of community.

finally - let's face it, being out of res, i can't IMAGINE you have any interest in continuing moderating these things. when your salary scale jumps 10X in one year, new priorities attend. best of luck with everything, and thank you so much for years of much appreciated work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
be amongst the first to say - thanks for the old ezboard. it gets lots of naysayers who actually spent plenty of time trolling it and posting to it anonymously.

the scut there on what applying was like really saved my life back then, and got me details on that helped me land my top program. you guys were years and years ahead of the curve on providing that kind of community.

finally - let's face it, being out of res, i can't IMAGINE you have any interest in continuing moderating these things. when your salary scale jumps 10X in one year, new priorities attend. best of luck with everything, and thank you so much for years of much appreciated work.
:eek: does it really jump 10X :wow:

yeah that was literal. so when applicants go on and on about academics, which hover (starting) closer to 200 at most places - without in some way talking about salary and why they might take that hit - think how naive they sound.

obviously on the bright side for all you matchees, welcome to the world of options.

Yes, but during an interview, I'd think it'd be quite crass to mention salary, especially when talking to academics who made that choice to take the money hit.

So sure, they sound naive, but better that than crass. An applicant must be really smooth to pull off mentioning salary in an interview situation.

yeah that was literal. so when applicants go on and on about academics, which hover (starting) closer to 200 at most places - without in some way talking about salary and why they might take that hit - think how naive they sound.

obviously on the bright side for all you matchees, welcome to the world of options.
I don't know about derm, but I've heard from some attendings in IM that working at a major academic center can have some major benefits despite the lower pay compared to private practice. You have your malpractice paid for, you get more vacation time, you can excellent retirement benefits, money to go to conferences and such. Also, if you write and get grants, don't you also get a salary from those grants?

And if you get tenure, you can retire and continue getting the same salary?

Again, I don't know about derm, but it seems like for some fields when you add up all the benefits, the financial difference between academics and private practice might not be so significant

I don't know about derm, but I've heard from some attendings in IM that working at a major academic center can have some major benefits despite the lower pay compared to private practice. You have your malpractice paid for, you get more vacation time, you can excellent retirement benefits, money to go to conferences and such. Also, if you write and get grants, don't you also get a salary from those grants?

And if you get tenure, you can retire and continue getting the same salary?

Again, I don't know about derm, but it seems like for some fields when you add up all the benefits, the financial difference between academics and private practice might not be so significant

It's possible. I've heard that recently, academics has gotten more popular and the program I'm headed to has had increased success luring its own residents to stay on as teaching faculty.

But my program director still laments the fact that often, the allure of private practice overpowers everything else.

I figure I have plenty of time to mull it over before I'm on the hot seat trying to decide. :cool:

...I can't say that I'm not tempted by 400K as an aspiring academic derm, however, if research is what one really wants to do (and has done + been satisfied with in the past), then I don't think there's anything naive about being *okay* with taking a compensation hit. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with ~200K a year... it's not like I have loans or anything. Actually, at my med institution (in northern california), starting salaries for academic derms who do at least 50% clinic is $230K. Most academicians that I know also get supplemental income from grants and patents. It's not that big a deal. Anywhoos, it's my first post on here... I've been lurking since yesterday, and would like to say thanks to all the contributors for all the [helpful] info. I think I like it here...

40-something thousand to 400-something thousand? You bet this can happen.
I am wondering if this is true for only certain geographic regions of the country?

I am wondering if this is true for only certain geographic regions of the country?

Probably a lot of variables involved. Geography is certainly one but I'm sure it also depends on the mix of cosmetics, how saturated the market is, patient population, overhead costs, etc... etc...