From IM to FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicienne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you matched this year so I wanted to post a Q at this forum. I wanted to apply for internal medicine earlier but realized that I like the variety & flexibility in FM more so I am preparing for FM residency application for the season of 2009.
About my background: I am a recent foreign graduate, moved here last year and did 4 months of electives in Internal Medicine. My school was a reputable, comparable medical school with more focus on internal medicine & community/social medicine during my training but usually people don't go for their training in the US so I could not find any seniors from my school to ask for their opinion.
Currently I am committed to a research program for a year but I am looking for options to get some experience & exposure to family medicine programs.
I only applied to scramble( unsuccessfully) this year because I completed the requirements too late in the season.
Considering my background and interests what would be the best experiences that I can get in the next 5 months to have a competitive application for FM since its almost impossible to get a formal externship rotation after graduation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.