From Kinesiology degree applying for Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nickp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering is it possible to get into Ophthalmology from Kineciology (BSn) degree after I graduate from University??
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering is it possible to get into Ophthalmology from Kineciology (BSn) degree after I graduate from University??
Thank you

Directly? No.

You must first take and complete a degree in medicine, M.D., D.O., MBBS, MBBCh or similar in your country and apply for and complete in good standing an approved residency or registrar course as a house officer in ophthalmology. There are several examinations taken during residency and a final board certification series of examinations that must also be completed usually after the residency is completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Canada, Ontario but I am going into Kineciology program this year and I am kinda wondering if there's a difference whether I'll take Kinsiology, Chemistry, Biology or Biomedical Science. One way or another at the end I will get my BSn diploma (bachelor of science)?? is there a difference whcih program Il take ??? And is there a difference from which program I can go into Other schools like ( Medical school, Orthopedist school, denstistry or Pharmacy??

I am from Canada, Ontario but I am going into Kineciology program this year and I am kinda wondering if there's a difference whether I'll take Kinsiology, Chemistry, Biology or Biomedical Science. One way or another at the end I will get my BSn diploma (bachelor of science)?? is there a difference whcih program Il take ??? And is there a difference from which program I can go into Other schools like ( Medical school, Orthopedist school, denstistry or Pharmacy??

Your school should have advisors who can tell you how to prepare to apply to medical or other professional schools from your particular institution. Most professional schools have similar requirements of two years of chemistry, one inorganic and one organic, a year of calculus and/or statistics, a year of biology including zoology and a year of physics. Some also require a year of psychology. Aside from meeting the minimum science requirements, the particular major of your B.S. is generally not important. That you do well in that major is important.

I am not sure what you mean by "Orthopedist school." If you are referring to podiatric school, the prerequisites are similar, as is dentistry, pharmacy and optometry.

Actually your bachelor of science will be abbreviated B.Sc. ;)

As for professional schools sounds like you have some reading to do. For example, ophthalmology, orthopedics, etc are all medical specialties - first you go to undergrad, then to medical school, and then a specialty residency like ophthalmology. Dentristry, Pharmacy, Optometry etc are all different professions and require that you attend their respective professional schools (dental school, pharmacy school, optometry school).

That said, the above advice is all very good, but if indeed what you're thinking about is optometry school then you really need to start planning your pre-requisites NOW! Canada's only english language optometry at the University of Waterloo has a very extensive list of pre-reqs that will take you a full three years of undergrad to fulfill with very few "fun" electives - kineseology probably is not the best platform if optometry is indeed your goal. In fact, kineseology probably is not the best platform to apply to any professional health programs simply because many of the pre-requisites like physics and calculus are not (if I remember correctly) apart of the core kineseology courses. But of course, check with the advisors at your school.

I also got a choice of Biology and Biomedical Science besides Kinesiology but I thought that There is not much you can do after you get a Biology Degree.. Either to go into Medschool, ( From kinsiology you can also do into med school), also form bio you can be a teacher/ professor or do reasearch ( which you can also do with KINESIOLOGY)
It seems like with Kinsiology there is much more you can do than with Biology or Biomedical Science
By the way, I head that to get inot MacMaster Medical school there no need to do a MCAD test???? is it true ? How come is that, if it is true?

Well as far as McMaster goes...that is a Canadian Medical School...so maybe that has something to do with not having to take the MCAT (if that is true).

Secondly, regardless of if you get a Bachelors in Biology, Biomedical Science, or Kinesiology...in the United States you CANNOT go into Ophthalmology (or any other residency for that matter) without an MD or DO degree...both Doctorate Level degrees (or the foreign medical school equivalent as mentioned previously MBBS, MBBCh, etc)...a Bachelors alone would not suffice in the great majority of circumstances (if there is any in which it would)

I hope this helps clear up some confusion...good luck to you

I also got a choice of Biology and Biomedical Science besides Kinesiology but I thought that There is not much you can do after you get a Biology Degree.. Either to go into Medschool, ( From kinsiology you can also do into med school), also form bio you can be a teacher/ professor or do reasearch ( which you can also do with KINESIOLOGY)
It seems like with Kinsiology there is much more you can do than with Biology or Biomedical Science
By the way, I head that to get inot MacMaster Medical school there no need to do a MCAD test???? is it true ? How come is that, if it is true?

Hmm, you must be planning to attend Waterloo?
It's true, if you graduate with a degree in biology and don't get into a professional school you might find yourself sitting around wondering what the hell you're going to do with your life - at least with Kin there are a couple more options.

Yes, McMaster does not require the MCAT, however you should realize that it's probably one of the most competitive school bc everyone applies there (no specific pre-req's either), and their interview process is INSANE.

Its just a hope that I get into Med school but, I also thing about Cheroprac doctor, physiology, physio therapy, Chiropadist, podiatrist schools...

I've talked to many people and they say that Kinic is more broad than Biology or Biomedical science unless you go into med school..

However, is there any schools that require you to take biology and chemistry (BSn)degree or any subjects of this matter, JUST NOT EXCEPT Kiniciology (BSn) to get in them.... And if there are school's like that, what are they????

I am just wondering, what school you can go into with Biology degree in which you cannot go in with Kinesiology degree and vise versa

Thank you

if I understand your question correctly...it does NOT matter what degree you have in undergraduate (or "university") if you want to go to medical school (and a number of other "professional schools"). Just pick a major you will enjoy and do well in.

That said, of my 3 roommates last year and I, One was a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in SPANISH, one was a BA in History, one was a Bachelor of Science (B.S. I think is similar to your BSn) in Psychology, and one was a Bachelor of Science in Engineering...we all go to the same medical school...none of us received degrees in the biomedical fields...so you can see it has little relevance to medical school acceptance

If you are worried about your degree helping or hurting you get into medical school, be sure to pick the major you like the best and in which you will succeed. On the other hand, if you dont want to go to professional school...I would imagine your best bet is to pick the major/degree that will provide you with a clear path to your future career, whatever that may be

good luck

Yes, that is right, it is what I wanted to clear out... Now I am set to go ..
Thank you alot