From Mechanical Engineering to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therocketdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 2nd year Mechanical Engineering student. I started gaining more and more interest in dermatology. I've been considering medical school after graduation. Would it be a good switch? How much would my engineering coursework prepare for med school? Where should I start?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a 2nd year Mechanical Engineering student. I started gaining more and more interest in dermatology. I've been considering medical school after graduation. Would it be a good switch? How much would my engineering coursework prepare for med school? Where should I start?
Do some shadowing and healthcare related volunteering for a low cost commitment. Take prerequisite classes like biology and chemistry if you’re serious. If it would be a good switch is up to you, but know you’ll have to take an additional year or two or three to be prepared for medical school. You’ll have to add on biology, chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, as well as some psychology and a sociology for mcat prep.

Don't switch just because you're interested in dermatology. That's one of the hardest specialties to match to. Make sure to shadow/volunteer in a hospital and ask yourself honestly if it's something you can see yourself doing regardless of specialty.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I studied engineering as well and I think it really will prepare me for medical school (incoming MS1 here). My degree has taught me how to think critically at a deeper level, how to work with people on long term projects, and much more. You will need to get all your prereqs done before you enter med school so you will end up taking more courses than most people but in my opinion it was worth it. If the opportunity ever arises I can use my degree in my practice or on cool new tech in the medical field. Good luck and if you have any questions PM me!

Hey! I'm a BME. The premed reqs fit into my schedule pretty well, so it worked out for me. That's the only reason I can think of for switching. I know engineers often have a heavy course load, so if you don't really love mech e enough to stay in it, then maybe consider it. It's totally possible to get into med school with any major though.

Look into Carle Illinois, it seems to be catered for people like yourself.

Hey! I'm a BME. The premed reqs fit into my schedule pretty well, so it worked out for me. That's the only reason I can think of for switching. I know engineers often have a heavy course load, so if you don't really love mech e enough to stay in it, then maybe consider it. It's totally possible to get into med school with any major though.
Hello, I work for more than 7 yrs as an Engineer and currently a 1st yr med student. Can you give me pieces of advice or tips on how did you do a smooth transition.
Do you have classmates in med school who has an engineering background. How are they in the class?
I would be glad if you can reply.

Hello, I work for more than 7 yrs as an Engineer and currently a 1st yr med student. Can you give me pieces of advice or tips on how did you do a smooth transition.
Do you have classmates in med school who has an engineering background. How are they in the class?
I would be glad if you can reply.
I'm also an M1 and I went straight from undergrad to med school, so I can't really help with transitioning from an engineering career to med school. I recommend visiting your school's curriculum office/ academic success office if you feel like you're having a rough transition. I'm still figuring out how I need to study to be successful in med school - it isn't easy! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user