From Pharmacy School to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azmany

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in my first year of Pharmacy school, in Massachusetts. I am interested in applying to medical school, but I don't want to wait until I graduate with my PharmD. I am at a school that does not give a bachelor, you just go straight through until you get your PharmD. Would that be an issue? I have found a few schools (UofArizona, Brody School of Med) that don't need a bachelors, but on the broad scale, do most medical schools require one?

My record is outstanding, I have a 4.0 while working full time, and contributed to two different research studies. I haven't taken the MCATS yet. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few 6 year medical schools in the US but since you are already in a university you'd have trouble getting into them. You need a minimum of 60 hours to get into an offshore school...go to www.valuemd.com

Hi, I am currently in my first year of Pharmacy school, in Massachusetts. I am interested in applying to medical school, but I don't want to wait until I graduate with my PharmD. I am at a school that does not give a bachelor, you just go straight through until you get your PharmD. Would that be an issue? I have found a few schools (UofArizona, Brody School of Med) that don't need a bachelors, but on the broad scale, do most medical schools require one?

My record is outstanding, I have a 4.0 while working full time, and contributed to two different research studies. I haven't taken the MCATS yet. What do you think?

I doubt it would be an issue at all. You should check with each school individually. If you have your PharmD I'm sure they aren't going to quibble over a BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
they want to leave now. PharmD is a 6 year program....person is in first year of school, no bachelors degree

I doubt it would be an issue at all. You should check with each school individually. If you have your PharmD I'm sure they aren't going to quibble over a BS.

J DUB
he's your man for pharm to med info :D

However from what i understand, it'll be better if you complete your Pharm.D and then go to medical school.. it wont seem like your a quitter or someone who will waste a medical school spot.

they want to leave now. PharmD is a 6 year program....person is in first year of school, no bachelors degree

Correct. Just to clarify, I have over 90 credit hours and have completed all the required courses (Orgos, Phys, etc). I also have taken Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, and some other "advanced" classes, so I am sure they wont think I am a bum lol. In any of your experiences have you find medical schools to bend at all on requirements?

Think you will finid US DO and MD schools not possible....offshore will be interested....have you taken the MCAT? chemistry,biology courses....here is an example of requirements

http://www.saba.edu/saba/index.php/admissions/requirements/pre-med-coursew

Correct. Just to clarify, I have over 90 credit hours and have completed all the required courses (Orgos, Phys, etc). I also have taken Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, and some other "advanced" classes, so I am sure they wont think I am a bum lol. In any of your experiences have you find medical schools to bend at all on requirements?

Adcomms tend to think you should complete the committments you've made. To get around that problem, consider transferring out of the current program and becoming a bachelor degree candidate. Even schools that don't require a BA or BS seem to have a 97-99% degree completion rate, as do both the schools you mentioned, and Brody takes no OOSers while AZ takes a rare one (1/158).

I would either finish until you earn your PharmD, or leave pharmacy school and pursue a bachelor's degree. How many more years do you have left for your PharmD? Are they going to be excruciatingly painful ("I hate pharmacy and I cry every night because it's that bad") or can you hang on until the end?

Whatever you chose to do, make sure that you ABSOLUTELY want to pursue medicine. That would be a VERY awkward and complicated situation if you left your pharmacy program and then suddenly realized you don't want to be a medical doctor anymore. Good luck!

(Also, you're not supposed to post the same thread across different forums so one of them will be closed. Next time, just post in the forum you think best fits your situation and it can always be moved.)

OP, please do not cross post the same thread in multiple forums. Just pick the one best forum and post the thread once. I have moved all of the replies from your other thread to this one.

OP, I think you should take all of your credits and bang out a quick BS at a cheap state school. If you really don't like pharmacy, you shouldn't keep going. You'll regret it when you graduate and then hate your job.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, please do not cross post the same thread in multiple forums. Just pick the one best forum and post the thread once. I have moved all of the replies from your other thread to this one.
My apologies, I am new here. Thank you for fixing it for me.

Adcomms tend to think you should complete the committments you've made. To get around that problem, consider transferring out of the current program and becoming a bachelor degree candidate. Even schools that don't require a BA or BS seem to have a 97-99% degree completion rate, as do both the schools you mentioned, and Brody takes no OOSers while AZ takes a rare one (1/158).
Ah I see, well in the case of AZ, I am from there orig, and my primary residency is still there

If you REALLY want to pursue medicine you need to quit that Pharmacy program ASAP. There is NONE ABSOLUTELY NO use of you finishing your PharmD. degree and then applying for medical schools when you know that you don't want to use it and instead want an MD degree.

Get a Bachelors and apply like the rest of us.

Ding Ding Ding, winner. Alum? Or NE student?
I go there too :thumbup:

I'm also in the PharmD program looking to pursue med school (I'm not even in the professional years though :oops:). I have no idea what to do. I feel like completing my PharmD and then going to med school, but I feel like that's such a huge amount of time/money and I'd be paying it off for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I could transfer into a state school and get a BS, but then I'd feel HORRIBLE if I didn't end up getting into med school and I just threw away a professional degree. AHHHH!!! Luckily I still have a while to decide, and I'm getting tons of pre-reqs done.

Last edited:

Okay....

First, finish the PharmD....dont want to be a person that quits programs as well as you will need some degree to apply to med school....I dont care what they say about not requiring them.....unless you think you are that rare exception....and you dont even have a MCAT score yet...

Getting into med school is no guarantee so having a PharmD as backup is not that bad an idea and you can add that expertise to your MD. By the time you go back and try to get a BS degree you could almost have the PharmD.

I would stay in the PharmD at least until I took the MCAT and see how I did.

How about ECs? Got any patient contact volunteering, shadowing, etc...

leadership, tutoring, non-med volunteering,....

It usually take at least 18 months to get the average amount...a yr is at least needed...most times.

Then, you are going to have to explain why you left pharm.....now, I rather say while in pharm school I discovered I wanted more hands on experience than pharm can provide so I want to pursue a MD. Or, you can quit pharmacy and then decide to try MD....looks like you have no clue and just trying this out too.

So, just wait and get the PharmD and apply to med school really strong and with more tools in your bag...:)

If you REALLY want to pursue medicine you need to quit that Pharmacy program ASAP. There is NONE ABSOLUTELY NO use of you finishing your PharmD. degree and then applying for medical schools when you know that you don't want to use it and instead want an MD degree.

Get a Bachelors and apply like the rest of us.

WRONG!! Epic fail....:oops:

Hey all, I will give you my perspective on this. I started thinking about dropping out of my 6 yr PharmD program very early on and going the BS to MD route. However, I decided to stick with it, completed a residency and I've now been working as a clinical pharmacist for about 1.5 yr. I just signed up to take the MCAT and am applying for med school in the next cycle. My advice, Chops, if you REALLY want to be a physician just go for it. Don't be intimidated and don't SELF limit yourself! If you really want med school drop out and get your BS. Azmany, you can take the MCAT and apply now to the schools that don't require BS while continuing pharm school and if you get into a program great! If not, just continue until completion and then apply. So, do I regret going PharmD first? NO WAY! I've has amazing experiences that have helped confirm my passion for medicine. I have learned so much and have gained a lot of perspective that will be a huge asset during medical training and practice. Best of all, I've had time to earn money, work in underserved areas (IHS), and TRAVEL (lots of travel)! So I think there is no right or wrong path. Just choose the path that is right for you.

I go there too :thumbup:

I'm also in the PharmD program looking to pursue med school (I'm not even in the professional years though :oops:). I have no idea what to do. I feel like completing my PharmD and then going to med school, but I feel like that's such a huge amount of time/money and I'd be paying it off for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I could transfer into a state school and get a BS, but then I'd feel HORRIBLE if I didn't end up getting into med school and I just threw away a professional degree. AHHHH!!! Luckily I still have a while to decide, and I'm getting tons of pre-reqs done.

now, you can go either way since you arent in the PharmD part yet just pre-pharm....are you already accepted into a PharmD or just pre-pharm the first two yrs...

I would take my shot at MD and then if that didnt work, try pharm. The BS would help for pharm anyway....

But, once you are in the PharmD (4yr), I would complete it like in the OP situation. You would be nuts to throw away that career without a MD acceptance in hand.

I would just finish the PharmD, then apply. You would probably have a pretty decent application considering the circumstances.

Hey all, I will give you my perspective on this. I started thinking about dropping out of my 6 yr PharmD program very early on and going the BS to MD route. However, I decided to stick with it, completed a residency and I've now been working as a clinical pharmacist for about 1.5 yr. I just signed up to take the MCAT and am applying for med school in the next cycle. My advice, Chops, if you REALLY want to be a physician just go for it. Don't be intimidated and don't SELF limit yourself! If you really want med school drop out and get your BS. Azmany, you can take the MCAT and apply now to the schools that don't require BS while continuing pharm school and if you get into a program great! If not, just continue until completion and then apply. So, do I regret going PharmD first? NO WAY! I've has amazing experiences that have helped confirm my passion for medicine. I have learned so much and have gained a lot of perspective that will be a huge asset during medical training and practice. Best of all, I've had time to earn money, work in underserved areas (IHS), and TRAVEL (lots of travel)! So I think there is no right or wrong path. Just choose the path that is right for you.

Very true.

Getting into med school is no guarantee so having a PharmD as backup is not that bad an idea and you can add that expertise to your MD. By the time you go back and try to get a BS degree you could almost have the PharmD.

Also very true, but this would apply to the OP and not Chops.

now, you can go either way since you arent in the PharmD part yet just pre-pharm....are you already accepted into a PharmD or just pre-pharm the first two yrs...

I would take my shot at MD and then if that didnt work, try pharm. The BS would help for pharm anyway....

But, once you are in the PharmD (4yr), I would complete it like in the OP situation. You would be nuts to throw away that career without a MD acceptance in hand.
As of now, I'm in the pre-pharm portion, but my acceptance into the professional years is pretty much guaranteed if I maintain the minimum GPA and go through a short interview during my second year so they can make sure I'm not a psycho or something.

I just feel like if the MD didn't work out, by some tragic circumstance, I wouldn't get into another pharm school and I'd end up working at Wal-Mart for the next 40 years...lol. I do agree with what you said about finishing the PharmD once I'm accepted though, I basically already promised myself that once I was in, I'll be in for good.

I guess I'm just really intimidated by the whole med school application process. Everyone always says how ridiculously hard it is, so I'm hesitant to throw away a potentially awesome career as a pharmacist.

As someone who's just done this (graduated may of last year with PharmD) and starting MD this fall (took a year off to work retail and pay off some debt) I'd recommend staying in the PharmD program. Go ahead and take the MCAT now while its fresh info in your brain, you're obviously a smart kid. I think one of the big advantages to staying in the program is that you'll already get a lot of the requirements of medical school out of the way before hand. Most of my interviewers seemed to be more impressed by my contributions on a medical team as a pharmacy student on rotations then had I been just shadowing. Allows you to get great letters of recommendation (think attendings).

PharmD is probably the best degree you can have going into medical school.

Also, just because a medical school doesnt 'require' a bachelors, doesn't mean that some people get accepted without one.

In summary: stay the course, get excellent clinical experience, stick around and learn with the med students and attendings (I once on a cardiology rotation stayed way late with the attending and a resident going over EKGs), profit

from what i've gathered (correct me if i'm wrong) you are now in your fifth year of a 6 year pharm program. my advice would be to take things slowly. finish your pharmD degree, work for a year or two in retail (from what i understand they make very good money to the tune of 80k-120k) and save up for med school. by that time you could get your act together, take the MCAT, strengthen your application and most importantly either pay down loans you currently have that would be accruing interest or save up money so that you can forego the huge debt load most students take on in med school. And i'm assuming that the pharmacy classes you take now will take a huge load off of you when you get to med school. There's no rush if you are spending your time off productively and/or lucratively.

As for what azskeptic is saying - the carribean schools should not even be on your radar now or ever. Don't sell yourself short.

fyi osteopathic schools are a great choice. don't forget them.

i have undergrad degrees, research publications, a pharmd where i graduated summa cum laude and i think of going back sometimes.

the only issue is the practice of medicine. medicine is awesome but the business side and bs is frustrating. it like that with every career though.